Apple Crumb Muffins. Light and fluffy bakery style muffins loaded up with bits of fresh apple and spiced with a hint of cinnamon. All topped off with a delicate brown sugar crumble.
Hey everyone! Serene from House of Yumm back with you today! And due to everyone heading back to school and my sudden desire for all things Fall (thank you internet for exploding all things pumpkin already!), I’m bringing you these Apple Crumb Muffins.
I have a deep deep love for muffins. From my Zucchini Crumb Muffins to my mini Oatmeal Raisin Muffins, muffins are always my first choice when it comes to breakfast. Well. It’s between that and oatmeal. But muffins are compact and easy to grab and go. Plus I get to smother them in butter.
I have the deepest love for bakery style muffins. You know the ones, they are oh so soft and more cake like. They crumble when you break them apart. And biting into them is a tiny glimpse into heaven. Well, that’s exactly what these muffins are. And that’s thanks to not shying away from the combination of butter and brown sugar. Sometimes a little indulgence is needed.
The best part? This muffin recipe can easily be adapted to become any muffin you want it to be. Don’t want apples? Toss in some blueberries. Or maybe some strawberries! But for now, with my mind set on Fall, these Apple Crumb Muffins are perfection.
Apple Crumb Muffins
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh chopped granny smith apple
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a regular size muffin tin with liners and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl add the butter and light brown sugar. Mix until combined. Stir in the eggs and vanilla extract. Add in the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Mix until well combined. Stir in the milk. Then fold in the apple chunks.
- Spoon the muffin batter into the muffin liners until they are about ¾ full. Will make 12 muffins.
- In a small bowl combine the ingredients for the topping, stir together the light brown sugar, cinnamon and flour. Pour in the melted butter and stir until crumbles form.
- Sprinkle a spoonful of the crumbs onto the tops of the muffins.
- Bake at 375 for about 30-35 minutes, until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes, then remove to continue cooling. Serve and enjoy! Muffins will store in a sealed container for about 3 days.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Can I use cosmic crisp apples in place of granny Smith apples?
Sure! Let me know how it turns out!
Love the recipe. Thanks
Can this be used as a bread recipe or would I need to change quantities?
That should work great! Let me know how it works out! Thanks for choosing one of my recipes! XOXO
DO you use plain flour or Self RAising flour in the banana and strawberry bread
I used all purpose flour for that bread. XOXO
My new favorite! So yummy!