A thin and flaky melt in your mouth crust topped with juicy apples and a crisp topping. It is drizzled in homemade caramel and perfect for feeding a crowd!
It was hot today. Like 90 degrees hot. It seemed like summer on this fall day. I have been looking forward to the cooler temperatures and crisp fall air. I have no idea what was going on with today. My cozy fall sweaters are just waiting in my closet to make their big debut. Oh well. In the meantime I will just keep baking up fall desserts. 🙂
This Caramel Apple Slap pie might just be one of my favorite desserts everrrrrrrrr.
This dessert is just screaming all of my favorite things about fall. From the thin and flaky melt in your mouth pie crust, to the fresh juicy apples, to the crisp and caramel drizzle on top. All of my favorites of fall rolled up into one.
When I made this I intended to just make an Apple Slab Pie. But as soon as it came out of the oven, it was begging me to drizzle some homemade caramel on top. I was glad that I did because it added such a delicious finishing touch!
The great thing about this slab pie is that it can feed a small army. So it is perfect for upcoming family gatherings and get togethers. Everything about this slab pie is amazing and you and your small army will love it as much as we did. 🙂
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup butter-flavored shortening
- 8 tablespoons cold water
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3½ pounds granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ¼-inch-thick slices (10 cups)
- Crumb Topping:
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup butter
- Homemade Caramel:
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup Half-and-half
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
- Pinch Of Salt
- Spray a 15x10x1 inch pan with non stick cooking spray and set aside. To make the dough, In a large bowl combine flour and salt. Using a pastry blender cut in the shortening until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the cold water over the mixture and toss with a fork. Repeat using 1 tablespoon of water at a time until it is moistened and knead the dough into a ball.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 19x13-inch rectangle. Wrap it around the rolling pin and unroll it into the prepared baking pan. Ease dough into the pan and up the sides, being careful not to stretch it. Trim dough to ½ inch beyond edge of pan. Fold dough edge over and flute as desired.
- In an extra large bowl combine the sugar, ⅓ cup flour, cinnamon and apples. Toss until coated. Spoon the mixture on the dough and spread evenly.
- To make the crumb topping: In a large bowl, stir together quick-cooking rolled oats, packed brown sugar, and all-purpose flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until topping mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle on top of apples.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until apples are tender. If it is starting to brown to fast, cover the top with foil the last 5-10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- To make the homemade caramel: Mix all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-low to medium heat. Cook while whisking gently for 5 to 7 minutes, until thicker. Turn off heat. Serve warm or refrigerate until cold. Drizzle on top of apple slab pie.
Latest posts by Alyssa (see all)
- Weekly Menu Plan #77 - December 3, 2016
- One Pan Crispy Parmesan Paprika Chicken with Vegetables - November 27, 2016
- Overnight Caramel Banana French Toast with Caramel Syrup - November 26, 2016