Hi! Jenn back from Deliciously Sprinkled with a delicious cake recipe, just in time for the upcoming holidays! This Cinnamon-Sugar Cake has been at our families Thanksgiving & Christmas dinner table ever since I was a little girl. It’s everyone’s favorite cake and my grandma only makes it during the holiday season.
So when I wanted to make this Cinnamon-Sugar Cake for my husband’s birthday, my grandma shared her recipe with me and I’m excited to share this famous cake recipe with all of you today, your welcome! 🙂
This cake is light and fluffy, and the cinnamon buttercream frosting packs a big hit of cinnamon flavor without being too overwhelming. If you love a classic snickerdoodle cookie this cake is for you, enjoy!
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (2 sticks) cup unsalted butter, softened
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 Tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon-sugar, sprinkle on top of cake
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray two 9-on. round baking pans with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric or stand mixer on medium speed, beat eggs and sugar for about 2 minutes, or until light and creamy. Add the butter and vanilla extract and beat on low speed for about 1 minute, or until well blended. Beat in the dry ingredients on low speed until blended. DO NOT OVER MIX! Add the sour cream and beat until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared baking pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool before frosting.
- MAKE THE FROSTING: Mix softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for 30 seconds until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, milk, ground cinnamon and vanilla extract. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes or until smooth.
- Spread the frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
More delicious cinnamon-sugar recipes from Deliciously Sprinkled: