If you are looking for a simple and delicious way to cook up your artichokes that is quick and easy, then these air fryer artichokes are just for you! Cooked to perfection, these will be your new favorite vegetable!
It’s always great to have a few recipes on hand for vegetables that go with just about any meal. Try these glazed carrots, this delicious asparagus, or these smashed sweet potatoes for some more delicious options!
Air Fryer Artichokes
It’s not a secret that I have a good relationship with my air fryer. After all, it can cook just about anything in it. But when it can even make vegetables taste delicious? I mean, it really doesn’t get much better than that! These air fryer artichokes are THE most delicious snack, side, or appetizer (hey, you do you, these are so good, eat them whenever you want!). You will want them every chance you get!
Thes artichokes are so simple, only using lemon juice and salt and pepper for cooking them up. These take so much less time than cooking them in the oven that they will become your new go-to side! But once they come out of the air fryer, they have the best texture and flavor! Dip these in some whipped feta dip or serve them as a side to a chicken dinner.
Ingredients to Make Air Fryer Artichokes
It doesn’t get much more simple than this ingredients list! See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Artichokes: I like to slice these in half so that they cook faster in the air fryer.
- Olive Oil: This will help the seasonings to stick.
- Lemon: The lemon helps prevent the artichoke from turning brown.
- Salt and Pepper: Classic seasonings are all that you need!
How to Cook Artichokes in an Air Fryer
The directions for cooking these air fryer artichokes are almost as simple as the ingredients list. Simple yet well stated, these artichokes go with every meal!
- Trim Artichokes: Prepare the artichokes by trimming off the stems around the stem if needed. Cut off most of the stem leaving about 1 inch on the aritchoke. Slice the top tip of the artichoke, and trim the rest of the stems with kitchen shears if needed.
- Cut in Half and Rub with Lemon: Slice each artichoke in half and use a spoon to remove the fuzzy choke from the center. Immediately rub the entire artichoke with the sliced lemon wedges to prevent discoloration.
- Add Oil and Seasonings: Drizzle both sides of the artichoke with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add to Basket: Place artichokes with the sliced side faced down onto the basket of the air fryer.
- Cook: Select the air fryer temperature to be 350°F. Cook for 8 minutes. Open the basket, flip the artichokes, and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve: Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and a squeeze of fresh lemon.
Can You Cook an Artichoke Whole?
Yes! But the reason that I cut them in half when making air fryer artichokes is so that they have a faster cook time. If you cook them whole, then you need to add time. Once the leaves peel easily, then the artichoke is done.
How to Pick Out Artichokes
If you want to get good results from air fryer artichokes then you must learn how to pick out a good artichoke at the store! Here are a few tips to help you out.
- Color: An artichoke that will have the best flavor will be one with deep green leaves that are tightly packed together. If they have bits of brown on the tips, that’s ok! That will add flavor when they are cooked.
- When are artichokes in season? The best time to pick out artichokes is in the spring or the fall, that is their peak season!
- Give them a squeeze! If you squeeze an artichoke and it feels soft or spongy, it’s a little too old. You want one that squeaks when you squeeze it! That means it’s fresh!
Air Fryer Artichokes
- 2 whole artichokes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon sliced in half
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Prepare the artichokes by trimming off the stems around the stem if needed. Cut off most of the stem leaving about 1 inch on the aritchoke. Slice the top tip of the artichoke, and trim the rest of the stems with kitchen shears if needed.
- Slice each artichoke in half and use a spoon to remove the fuzzy choke from the center. Immediately rub the entire artichoke with the sliced lemon wedges to prevent discoloration.
- Drizzle both sides of the artichoke with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place artichokes with the sliced side faced down onto the basket of the air fryer.
- Select the air fryer temperature to be 350°F. Cook for 8 minutes. Open the basket, flip the artichokes, and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and a squeeze of fresh lemon.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
This was a waste of good artichokes. They came out undercooked but also overcooked. I’ve always steamed them in a pressure cooker, I’ll be doing that again next time. So disappointed.
I just tried these. I didn’t rub with lemon because I didn’t have any handy and my artichoke was a smaller one. Other then the lemon, I followed the recipe. The leaves didn’t cook right because they were still very tough but the artichoke was so crisp I didn’t want to cook it any longer. I usually steam them but I was hoping to find a better way to cook them. Any ideas on what I did wrong? Thank you.
The lemon will help your leaves from turning brown and too crisp. Try rubbing it with lemon and see if that helps! Also, don’t forget to flip them halfway through!
Ok thank you. I will do that and buy a little bigger ones too.