Almond French Toast with Roasted Strawberry Syrup is the ultimate easy dairy free breakfast recipe! Our entire family loves this crunch french toast.
Hi guys! It’s Becky from The Cookie Rookie back with a fun and easy recipe. I love a fast and family friendly breakfast recipe, and this Almond French Toast with Roasted Strawberry Syrup is just perfect. Our entire family asks for seconds from my 1 year old son to my 35 year old husband. I love the flavor combination which is a fun play on peanut butter and jelly. I also love that this french toast is dairy free! It’s a simple swap using almond milk instead of cow’s milk, just as flavorful and lower in calories!
I used finely chopped almonds as a crust on this french toast to create a nice crunch with each bite. To die for! This is the type of breakfast recipe that makes me consider being a morning person. It’s simply a great way to wake up and face the day. That strawberry syrup…amazing!
Almond Crusted French Toast with Roasted Strawberry Syrup
- 3 cups frozen strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla almond milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or almond extract
- 8 slices brioche bread
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons unsalted dairy free margarine such as smart balance
- Combine strawberries and sugar in a medium saucepan and add ½ cup water. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, stirring and crushing strawberries against the sides of the saucepan while cooking. Allow to simmer until thickened to your liking, around 15 minutes.
- While sauce is cooking, whisk together the eggs, milk, and extract in a large baking dish.
- Dip each piece of bread fully in the egg mixture, and then press both sides into the chopped walnuts, pressing to coat as much as possible.
- Set aside until ready to make your french toast.
- When ready to begin, heat a griddle over medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon margarine.
- Add four slices of bread to the griddle and cook until browned, about 2-3 minutes. Flip to cook the other side until browned.
- Transfer to a plate and cook the remaining 4 slices.
- Serve topped with the roasted strawberry syrup.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
The only thing I would say is to not use medium high heat with a cast iron pan. The butter almost immediately burns and so does the French toast. Other than that, this is a wonderful recipe. ❤️ Cast iron pan = lower heat.
I believe that Elmer Fudd would have said “Wery good. More please” after eating a few of these osodelicioso pieces of French toast. Mahalo for sharin’. GOD bless and Aloha’oe
You say 1 cup chopped almonds in the recipe, however in the directions you say to press into chopped walnuts. I’m assuming it’s almonds
Yes, thank you for letting me know! I will fix that error. It is 1 cup chopped almonds. Hope you enjoy your French Toast! XOXO
Great recipe! I love all things nuts so I can’t believe I never thought of doing this. I guess that’s why I’m not a food blogger. Lol. Just a heads up though, your instructions say walnuts, not almonds.