We survived our first week of school here. Of course the homework hasn’t started. Ughhhhh. Homework consumes their life dining the school year. And it gets harder and harder each year. I totally had to start googling my sons math homework back when he was in the fifth grade. Am I smarter than a fifth grader? No. 😉
With school starting, I get so excited for fall. And it is right around the corner. The temperatures start to cool down a little and the leaves will soon be changing. Fall is my favorite time of the year! But with fall I love fall baking! I absolutely love apple and pumpkin desserts. I couldn’t make them all year long.
This Apple Pecan Spice Cake though… Oh.my.gosh.
This was easily one of the BEST cakes that I have ever had. Everything about this cake was absolute perfection. The spice cake was so tender and moist and the apples baked inside were amazing! The apple pecan combination brought out such a delicious flavor and texture. BUT lets just talk about the brown sugar cream cheese frosting… you will die. It was the best finishing touch to this perfect cake.
Let this cake be on the top of your list for fall baking. Actually do not wait until it is officially fall. Bake it right now! I think that you will quickly agree that this is one of the best cakes ever.
Recipe slightly adapted from Price Chopper
Apple Pecan Spice Cake with Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
The most tender and moist apple pecan spice cake that you will make. And the brown sugar cream cheese frosting is absolutely delicious!
- 4 cups Granny Smith Apples chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup pecans roughly chopped
Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 package cream cheese frosting 8 ounce, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup golden brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine apples and sugar. Stir in oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- In another mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add the flour mixture to the apple mixture. Add milk and stir until just combined. Add chopped pecans.
- Pour into prepared 9x13 inch pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- To make the frosting: Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add butter and continue to beat until smooth scraping down sides when needed. Add vanilla and brown sugar. Beat for 5 minutes until it is light and fluffy and the sugar has dissolved. Spread evenly on top of the cake. Refrigerate after frosting.