Deliciously chewy and flavorful oatmeal cookies!
Hey everyone! It’s Chelsea back from Chelsea’s Messy Apron! I thought I’d sneak in one last cookie recipe before everyone is ready to get back to more fruits, veggies, and whole grains!
These cookies are my family’s FAVORITE oatmeal cookie. They are so flavorful, have a wonderful texture, and best of all they are soft & chewy! No hard oatmeal cookies here 🙂
Tips to make the BEST Oatmeal Cookies:
- Correctly measure the flour: If you press a measuring cup into a bag of flour you will pack in way too much flour (which will result in cake-like cookies with the wrong texture). To properly measure your flour, spoon the flour into the measuring cup until its overfilled. Then use the back of a butter knife to level the measuring cup at the top. You’ll have a perfect flour measurement now!
- Use room temperature eggs: This ensures the eggs disperse more evenly into the batter giving these cookies a lighter texture (the eggs trap air). Soaking refrigerated eggs in a bowl of warm (not hot) water for about 10 minutes is a quick way to do this. Otherwise, pull the eggs out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before use.
- Use REAL butter and beat it with the sugar: Butter gives these cookies body, texture, and flavor. By beating it with the sugars at the start you’re fluffing up the butter with air which gives these cookies that perfect foundation for a great texture.
- Slightly under-bake: if you over bake these cookies you’ll lose the awesome soft and chewy texture and you’ll get a hard and crisp oatmeal cookie instead. Watch them careful and as soon as the tops are no longer glossy, pull them out!
Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 and 1/2 cups QUICK oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 cups. milk chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper or a silpat liner.
In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the brown sugar, white sugar, and room temperature (NOT melted) butter until creamy. The mixture should look like peanut butter.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
In a separate bowl, combine the oats, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, flour, and chocolate chips. Whisk until combined.
- Add the dry to the wet and mix until just combined being careful to not overmix.
- Roll out golf-ball sized dough balls and place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 6-8 minutes or until just lightly golden brown. Watch carefully to avoid over-baking; slightly under-baked oatmeal cookies make the best chewy cookies!
Alyssa Also Recommends:
Want to make this even easier? Here are a few products that I LOVE:
•The Recipe Critic Measuring Cups
•Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer
•Nordic Wave Baking Sheet