Taking hot dogs to the next level, these Chili Dogs are messy, fun and the perfect backyard barbecue food. Making these at home is so EASY!
The Best Chili Dogs
Chili Dogs are usually what you get at amusement parks or college cafeterias. And who hasn’t eaten one too many with messy hands and extra tissue to wipe off your face. I love them because they really take hot dogs to the next level. And these are incredibly easy to make at home. If you are soaking up all the sun and spending all your time outdoors grilling with your family, these chili dogs should be on your must make list.
These Chili Dogs are such an American classic and with our favorite fast and easy chili recipe, I bet your whole family will love them! Don’t forget the extra napkins!
Easy Homemade Chili:
Start with an easy chili recipe. You can use your house favorite, try out our Chipotle Chili recipe or use my extra easy recipe below. Make the chili a day ahead which really allows the flavors to become better. On the day, just heat it up on the grill if you like (let it simmer while you grill all the other stuff), or heat it on the stove. And you are ready to start layering your chili dogs.
Making Hot Dogs:
Choose to boil, pan fry or grill your hot dogs. Grilled hot dogs are a personal favourite plus those char marks look so good when you assemble your chili dogs.
We prefer our buns toasted most of the time, but there are people in the family who like theirs untoasted too. Toasted buns hold up better under the chili and hot dogs. And you can butter them and throw them on the grill for a minute or two for a quick toast.
Chili Dog Toppings:
I know toppings are a personal affair. Everyone likes what they like.
- Red Onions
- Sharp Cheddar
- Relish and Pickles
More Great Barbecue Recipes:
- Grilled Honey Barbecue Chicken Foil Packets
- Grilled BBQ Chicken
- Key Lime Chicken
- Portobello Burgers
- Citrus Salmon with Pineapple Salsa
For the chili
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1/2 Onion finely chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 15 ounce can Pasta Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 8 Hot Dog Buns
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 8 Beef Hot Dogs
- To make the chili, heat olive oil and butter in a skillet and add the ground beef, onions and garlic. Break it up with the back of a spoon and cook till the beef started browning. Add the remaining ingredients for the chili and cook for 15 minutes on a slow simmer.
Grilling Hot Dogs:
- To grill the hot dogs, heat the grill to medium high heat. Brush the grill grates with oil and place the hot dogs on the grill. Grill until char marks form and the hot dogs are heated through. Turn off the heat, butter the buns and if you like, grill them too.
Make a Chili Dog:
- To assemble, place a hot dog on the buns and top with chili and your favourite toppings. Enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.