Hi, I’m Jenn, the creator behind the food blog Eat Cake For Dinner. I named my blog after my favorite thing . . . Cake (with lots of frosting, of course), but I am really a lover of ALL food.
I am so excited to be a new contributor here at The Recipe Critic and I can’t wait to share a new recipe with you each month.
First things first, I’m going to stick to my roots and share a cake recipe. Since it is strawberry season and I figured a lot of you would be making homemade strawberry jam, that it’s the perfect time to make these amazingly delicious cupcakes. The cake is so light. You know how sometimes you pick up a cupcake and it is so heavy and dense, not these. You don’t even feel like you are holding anything when you pick one of these up. I used my favorite doctored-up cake mix recipe for the chocolatey base and spread a layer of Nutella over the top!
The whipped cream topping is made with strawberry jam. Let me just say, Strawberry Whipped Cream – Now, that is where it’s at! Where has this been all my life? The flavor was HEAVENLY. Make this now, eat it with a spoon if you have to, but you have got to try it.
My time saving tip for really fast whipped cream is to chill the beater and the bowl in the freezer until ready to use. This will help your cream whip up really fast.
- 1 chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 (3.4 oz.) box chocolate fudge pudding mix
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Nutella
- Strawberry Whipped Cream:
- 1½ cups whipping cream
- 5 Tbl. strawberry jam
- 2-3 Tbl. sugar, depending on how sweet you want it
- 1 tsp. strawberry extract
- sliced strawberries, for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and spray with cooking spray.
- For the Cupcakes: Combine dry cake mix, dry pudding mix, water, oil, Greek yogurt, eggs and vanilla. Mix until well blended. Fill muffin cups no more than ⅔ full with batter.
- Bake for about 23 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Repeat with remaining batter. Cool completely and then spread 1 - 1½ teaspoons of Nutella over the top of each cupcake. Top with Strawberry Whipped Cream. Store cupcakes in the refrigerator. Yield: 24-26 cupcakes.
- For the Strawberry Whipped Cream: Pour whipping cream into a chilled bowl. Using a hand mixer and the whisk attachment, beat the cream until frothy. Add the strawberry jam, sugar and strawberry extract. Whip until thick and creamy. Pipe or spread over cupcakes. Garnish with a sliced strawberry, if desired.
You might also like: