Eclair cake is moist and sweet, made with vanilla filling, a buttery crust, and whipped cream topping. There are so many toppings to choose from and you will be amazed at how insanely soft and delicious this cake is!
Easy Eclair Cake Recipe
I live in a neighborhood with some amazing cooks. As soon as we moved into this area, they were bringing us fresh-baked bread, soups, and treats to welcome us. It is almost a little intimidating because there are so many great cooks! A few weeks ago, I was able to get a copy of our neighborhood recipes. All of the recipes in this cookbook are fabulous. This eclair cake recipe is especially delicious! I see eclair cake everywhere and knew I wanted to give this one a try! I love eclairs and wondered how close it would taste to the real deal.
But honestly, after making it and taking one bite, it was one of the best desserts that I have put in my mouth! I think it’s because the crust was so light and flaky and tasted just like an eclair. Not to mention, the filling was the best! So creamy and delicious. There was a note in the book that said be prepared to serve seconds and not have any leftovers. I can confirm that this is true! It’s the perfect dessert for any occasion! And if you’re looking for more knockout dessert recipes, find my full list here!
Layered Eclair Cake Ingredients
I’ll admit that it was a little bit daunting when I saw an eclair cake recipe in the cookbook. I honestly figured there would be a ton of bizarre ingredients that I didn’t have. However, after reading through it, I found that it was surprisingly made of things I already had in my pantry and fridge! Most of these are pantry staples that you will already have on hand as well! Measurements for each ingredient can be found below in the recipe card.
- Butter or Margarine: Salted or unsalted work, just adjust additional salt as needed.
- Flour: Adds structure to the crust. I used all-purpose flour!
- Water: Needed for adding moisture to the dough.
- Salt: Salt keeps your crust from tasting bland!
- Sugar: A little white sugar is a must for that perfect sweetness!
- Eggs: This will bind the crust together.
- Cream Cheese: Softened to easily combine for the filling.
- Vanilla Instant Pudding: Adds the perfect flavor and helps the filling to mix up smoothly.
- Milk: For adjusting the consistency of the filling and also adding creaminess.
- Cool Whip: For topping
- Optional Toppings: Strawberry or banana slices and chocolate sauce for drizzling.
How to Make an Eclair Cake With Cream Puff Crust
This impressive cake takes less than an hour to make from start to finish! Trust me, it’s well worth it for a cake that tastes just like an eclair! It has top-notch bakery flavor! Follow these simple steps and you’ll have this creamy dessert baking in no time.
- Preheat Oven: First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a jelly roll pan or a 9×13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Make the Crust: On low heat in a medium saucepan, melt the butter on low. Add water and bring to a boil. Next, turn off the burner and quickly add flour, salt, sugar and mix until you form a ball. Let cool for 5 minutes. Then, add eggs one at a time and mix in with a fork until incorporated.
- Form Crust: Spread the crust mixture out on the jelly roll pan or 9×13 inch pan. If using a 9×13, slightly bring the mixture up on the sides.
- Bake: Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes. The crust will bubble up and the edges will turn slightly brown. Let it cool until room temperature.
- Prepare Filling: In a stand mixer or using beaters, mix 1 cup of milk with the cream cheese and mix until creamy. Add pudding mix and the rest of the milk and mix well together until creamy.
- Layer and Serve: Spread filling over the cooled crust. Spread the cool whip on top of the filling mixture. You can top with sliced fruit and drizzle with chocolate syrup if desired.
Tips, Toppings and Variations
There are so many ways to make this eclair cake your own. The possibilities are endless. Add in the things you enjoy, and leave out what you don’t. Here are some ideas to get you started!
- Allow to Set: I recommend refrigerating the cake for anywhere between 8-24 hours before serving. Good luck waiting… waiting is HARD!
- Crust: Use cinnamon or chocolate graham crackers in place of original OR even better, try vanilla wafers!
- Fresh Fruit: Add in a fruit layer to add a bit of freshness. I always like adding strawberries, but blueberries, raspberries, sliced bananas, and blackberries are delicious too!
- Filling: Add cream cheese to the pudding mixture for a thicker filling. Peanut butter added into the filling will also give you an extra stand-out flavor and thicker consistency. You can also experiment with other flavors of pudding like banana (and garnish with sliced banana to match).
- Make it Diet-Friendly: Use low-fat graham crackers, sugar-free pudding with skim milk and fat-free cool whip if you are wanting a guilt-free dessert option.
- Toppings: Chocolate or caramel drizzle is a must! I also love to sprinkle the frosting with things like chopped nuts, shaved chocolate, or oreo pieces.
A Reader’s Review
I doubt you’ll have any leftovers of this amazing cake, but leaving this here just in case…
- In the Refrigerator: Wrap with plastic wrap or store in an airtight container. Your eclair cake will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
- In the Freezer: If you want to cut clean squares of this cake, freeze before cutting. All of the ingredients freeze well, so wrap it tightly in foil and it will keep for up to two months. To serve, simply thaw the eclair cake out in refrigerator until it is able to be cut through with a knife.
- 1/2 cups butter or margarine
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 package cream cheese 8 oz. softened
- 2 packages vanilla instant pudding small
- 3 cup milk
- 1 container cool whip 8 oz., for top
- chocolate syrup for drizzling optional
- strawberry or banana slices for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On low heat in a medium saucepan, melt the butter on low. Add water and bring to a boil. Next, turn off the burner and quickly add flour, salt, sugar, and mix until you form a ball. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix in with a fork until incorporated. Spray a jelly roll pan or a 9×13 inch pan with cooking spray. Spread the mixture out on the pan. If using a 9×13, slightly bring the mixture up on the sides. Bake for 25-30 minutes in the preheated oven. The crust will bubble up and the edges will turn slightly brown. Let it cool until room temperature.
- Spread over the cooled crust. Spread the cool whip on top of the filling mixture. You can top with fresh strawberry slices or bananas if desired. Drizzle with chocolate syrup if desired.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.