Eclair Cake is a moist and sweet eclair-inspired cake made with vanilla filling, a buttery crust, and whipped cream topping. The garnish options are plentiful and you will be amazed at how insanely delicious this cake is!
Try No-Bake Chocolate Eclair Dessert too for more of the rich flavors we all love about an eclair, this time in a no-bake dessert!
I live in a neighborhood with some amazing cooks. As soon as we moved into this area, they were bringing us fresh baked breads, soups, and treats to welcome us. It is almost a little intimidating because their are so many great cooks! We love the area that we live in and are surrounded by some great neighbors.
A few weeks ago, I was able to get a copy of our neighborhood recipes. All of the recipes in this cookbook are fabulous. This Eclair Cake recipe in particular was in the cookbook. I see this eclair cake everywhere and I knew I wanted to give this one a try! I love eclairs and wondered how close it would taste to the real deal.
After making it and taking one bite, it was one of the best desserts that I have put in my mouth! The crust was flaky and tasted just like an eclair. The filling was the best. So creamy and delicious. There was a note in the book that said be prepared to serve seconds and not have any leftovers. This was true! It is the perfect dessert!
Eclair Cake Ingredients:
I’ll admit that it was a little bit daunting when I saw an Eclair Cake recipe in the cookbook. I honestly figured there would be a ton of bizarre ingredients that I didn’t have. However, after reading through it, I found that it was surprisingly made of mostly things I already had in my pantry and fridge! Most of these are pantry staples that you will already have on hand as well!
- Butter or margarine: Salted or Unsalted work just adjust additional salt as needed.
- Flour: Adds structure to the crust.
- Water: Bring water to boil then turn off burner and add dry ingredients to make a dough.
- Salt: To taste.
- Sugar: Adds sweetness.
- Eggs: This will bind the crust together.
- Cream cheese: Softened to easily combine for filling.
- Vanilla instant pudding: The small box is plenty
- Milk: To give the filling the perfect consistency and sweetness
- Cool whip: For topping
- Optional: Chocolate syrup for drizzling on top
- Optional: Strawberry or banana slices to garnish
How to Make Eclair Cake:
Making an eclair cake takes, in total, less than an hour! That is well worth it for a cake that tastes just like an eclair!
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a jelly roll pan or a 9×13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Make the Crust: On low heat in a medium saucepan, melt the butter on low. Add water and bring to a boil. Turn off the burner and add flour, salt, sugar and mix into a softball. Let cool for 5 minutes. Then, add eggs one at a time and mix in with a fork until incorporated.
- Form Crust: Spread the crust mixture out on the jelly roll pan or 9×13 inch pan pan. If using a 9×13, slightly bring the mixture up on the sides.
- Bake: Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes. The crust will bubble up and the edges will turn slightly brown. Let it cool until room temperature.
- Make the filling: In a stand mixer or using beaters mix 1 cup of milk with the cream cheese and mix until creamy. Add pudding mix and the rest of the milk and mix well together until creamy.
- Layer Eclair Cake: Spread filling over the cooled crust. Spread the cool whip on top of the filling mixture. You can top with fresh strawberry slices or bananas if desired. Drizzle with chocolate syrup if desired.
Storing Eclair Cake:
I recommend refrigerating the cake for anywhere between 8-24 hours before serving. Good luck waiting..waiting is HARD!
If you want to cut clean squares of this cake, then freeze it before cutting. All of the ingredients freeze well, so wrap it tightly in foil and it will keep well for up to two months. To serve, simply thaw the eclair cake out in refrigerator until it is able to be cut through with a knife.
Eclair Cake Variations:
There are so many ways to make this cake your own. The possibilities are endless. Add in the things you enjoy, and leave out what you don’t. It’s your dessert so make it reflect who you are and what you love! Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Crust: Use cinnamon or chocolate graham crackers in place of original OR even better, try vanilla wafers!
- Fresh fruit: Add in fresh fruit layer (try sliced strawberries) to add a bit of freshness.
- Filling: Add cream cheese to the pudding mixture for a thicker filling. Peanut butter added into the filling will also give you an extra stand-out flavor and thicker consistency. Also, experiment with other flavors of pudding like banana (and garnish with sliced banana to match).
- Dietary Needs: Use low-fat graham crackers, sugar-free pudding with skim milk and fat-free cool whip if you are wanting a guilt-free dessert option.
- Toppings: Sprinkle the frosting with chopped roasted peanuts
More Delicious Cake Recipes:
- Better than Anything Cake
- Amazing Pineapple Cake
- The Best Carrot Cake Recipe Ever!
- One Bowl Chocolate Cake
- Red Velvet Cake Recipe
An amazing dessert that tastes just like an eclair!
- 1 1/2 cups butter or margarine
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 package cream cheese 8 oz. softened
- 2 packages vanilla instant pudding small
- 3 cup milk
- 1 container cool whip 8 oz., for top
- chocolate syrup for drizzling on top optional
- Strawberry or banana slices to garnish on top optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On low heat in a medium saucepan, melt the butter on low. Add water and bring to a boil. Turn off the burner and add flour, salt, sugar and mix into a softball. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix in with a fork until incorporated. Spray a jelly roll pan or a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray. Spread the mixture out on the pan. If using a 9x13, slightly bring the mixture up on the sides. Bake for 25-30 minutes in the preheated oven. The crust will bubble up and the edges will turn slightly brown. Let it cool until room temperature.
- For the filling, In a stand mixer or using beaters mix 1 cup of milk with the cream cheese and mix until creamy. Add pudding mix and the rest of the milk and mix well together until creamy.
- Spread over the cooled crust. Spread the cool whip on top of the filling mixture. You can top with fresh strawberry slices or bananas if desired. Drizzle with chocolate syrup if desired.