Green Chile Enchilada Soup! This creamy, comforting green Chile enchilada soup is loaded up with chunks of chicken, white beans, green chiles, and cheese. Taking only 30 minutes from start to finish this recipe is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner for the whole family!
One of my favorite things to make for dinner in the colder months is a big batch of soup or chili. And this Green Chile enchilada soup definitely delivers. It’s loaded up with juicy bits of chicken, lots of white beans, and green chiles for a mild heat and flavor. This soup is hearty enough to make as a main dish, and mild enough for the entire family.
How to Make Green Chile Enchilada Soup
This green chile enchilada soup is quick and easy to make. It comes together in 30 minutes on the stovetop. To save time, have shredded chicken on hand, or use a rotisserie chicken.
- Saute the onion in a small amount of olive oil, until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the broth, green enchilada sauce, shredded chicken, beans, diced green chiles and seasonings. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat, let it cool for several minutes, then add the cheese and stir while the cheese melts.
One of the best things about this green Chile enchilada soup recipe is the ability to load up on the extra toppings! Some of my favorites include: sour cream, cilantro, extra cheese, diced jalapeños, and tortilla chips. Of course you can add any others that you would like!
Other Soup recipes to try:
Green Chile Enchilada Soup
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1 and ½ cups green Chile enchilada sauce
- 4 cups shredded chicken cooked
- 2 14 ounce cans white Great Northern Beans drained
- 1 7 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Diced Cilantro
Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven, or large pot over medium heat.
Add the diced onion and saute until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds until fragrant.
Add in the chicken broth, green enchilada sauce, shredded chicken, drained beans, diced green chiles, cumin and salt. Stir to combine.
Bring the soup to a simmer, cover and simmer for at least 10 minutes.
Remove the pot from the heat, allow to cool for about 2 minutes, then add in the shredded cheese. Stir while the cheese melts into the soup.
Serve warm and top with any additional toppings desired.
How to shred your own chicken:
After a quick sear with salt and pepper, fill the pan with a small amount of water, just enough to come halfway up the chicken, and bring this to a simmer. Let the chicken cook, or poach, until they reach 165 degrees. Then remove and shred.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.