If you have some favorite enchiladas that are in need of a delicious sauce, look no more! This Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce is so delicious and packed with flavor. You will want to have it on hand all the time!
I love delicious homemade sauces so much better than store-bought! I use them on everything, and if you love them as much as I do, then you must try this Easy Homemade BBQ Sauce, this delicious Alfredo Sauce, or this yummy Fry Sauce.
Green Chile Enchilada Sauce Recipe
If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to add some zesty, bold flavor to your meals, look no further than this green chile enchilada sauce recipe. Made with just a handful of simple ingredients like tomatillos, jalapenos, and spices, this sauce is bursting with a bright, tangy flavor that’s perfect for adding to tacos, enchiladas, or grilled meats and vegetables.
Not only is this recipe easy and delicious, but it’s also vegan and gluten-free, making it a great option for anyone with dietary restrictions. You can also store this sauce in your freezer (see my storage tips at the bottom of the post) to have on hand for adding a flavorful kick to any meal. It’s so delicious, you must try it!
Ingredients in Green Enchilada Sauce
This sauce is made up of classic Mexican ingredients that really make anything taste delicious. It has a kick, so if you prefer a milder sauce, leave out the jalapeño pepper or remove the seeds and membranes before dicing. On the other hand, if you like it hot, add extra jalapeños or use a spicier variety of green chilis. Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post or the exact measurements.
- Olive Oil: You will cook up all the vegetables in this.
- Yellow Onion: I love the flavor and aroma that the yellow onions bring to the sauce.
- Cloves of Garlic: If you don’t have cloves of garlic on hand to mince, then you can use the minced garlic from a jar. ½ teaspoon of minced garlic equals about 1 clove.
- Whole Jalapeño Peppers: Leave out the seeds and the membranes if you want a milder sauce.
- Diced Green Chiles: You can buy these cans in mild, medium, or hot. Make sure to pick what level of heat you prefer so this sauce turns out perfectly for you!
- Tomatillos: Make sure to peel and wash the tomatillos before dicing them up.
- Vegetable Broth: This acts as a base to puree all of the vegetables.
- Salt: This enhances all of the flavors in this green enchilada sauce.
- Pepper: Adds a little spice without being too much.
- Cumin: This adds a delicious flavor to the sauce.
Let’s Make Some Homemade Sauce
Homemade enchilada sauce is worth every second that you spend making it! This sauce takes less than 30 minutes to prepare. If you want to double the batch, you can and you can use one now and freeze some for later.
- Sauté Onion: In a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, add your olive oil and diced onion, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Continue to Cook: Add your garlic, jalapeno, green chiles, and tomatillos. Continue to saute over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Boil: Add your vegetable broth, salt, pepper, and cumin. Bring to a boil and boil for just a few minutes.
- Simmer: Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes to reduce the liquid slightly.
- Blend: Using an immersion blender in the pot, blend your sauce until smooth. You can also remove the sauce from the pot and blend it in a blender.
- Store: Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. You can keep it frozen for up to 4 months.
Here are a few tips to make your green enchilada sauce turn out perfectly every time!
- Choose ripe tomatillos: When picking out your tomatillos, look for ones that are firm, shiny, and have a bright green color. Stay away from tomatillos that are wrinkled yellow. These are old and won’t provide you with the flavor you need for your sauce.
- Don’t Skip the Simmering: This will allow the flavors to meld together and the liquid to reduce slightly. It will help you achieve a delicious texture that’s not too thin and gives you the best flavor.
- Use an immersion blender: To make blending the sauce easier, consider using an immersion blender directly in the pot. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a regular blender, but let the sauce cool before blending.
How to Store Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Once the sauce is ready, let it cool to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container.
- In the Refrigerator: Homemade green enchilada sauce can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.
- In the Freezer: You can store it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 4 months. Make sure to label it with the date!
- To Reheat: Let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Then, warm it up slowly over low heat to prevent scorching.
Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 whole yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 whole jalapeno pepper diced
- 3 (4 ounce) cans diced green chiles
- 6 tomatillos peeled, washed, and diced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- In a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, add your olive oil and diced onion, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add your garlic, jalapeno, green chiles, and tomatillos. Continue to saute over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Add in your vegetable broth, salt, pepper, and cumin. Bring to a boil and boil for just a few minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes to reduce the liquid slightly.
- Using an immersion blender in the pot, blend your sauce until it is smooth. You can also remove the sauce from the pot and blend it in a blender.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. You can keep it frozen for up to 4 months.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.