This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
This grilled citrus and herb chicken is juicy, tender, and flavored with the best marinade. A super easy dish that’s ready in no time!
For me, the summer is all about grilling, and there’s nothing better than flavorful grilled chicken. This citrus and herb chicken is marinated to perfection, then grilled until caramelized on the outside, yet tender and juicy on the inside. Best of all, it’s super easy to make!
The marinade for this citrus chicken is made with olive oil, garlic, orange and lemon zest and juice, and plenty of dried herbs. I like to use thin cut boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, because they cook quickly and evenly. You can use regular chicken breasts, but if they’re especially thick you’ll want to slice them in half lengthwise so that the outside doesn’t burn before the inside is cooked through. The chicken needs to marinate for at least 30 minutes, but you can leave the chicken in the marinade for up to 4 hours. When you’re ready to eat, simply grill for a few minutes on each side, then serve!
This chicken is perfect on its own with a few summery side dishes, or you can chop it up and use it in salads, sandwiches or wraps. I often double the recipe so that I have plenty of leftovers to have for lunch during the week! If you’d like to make this recipe and it’s not grilling season, simply cook the chicken on a grill pan on the stove top, it will be just as delicious.
I finish this citrus and herb grilled chicken off with a sprinkling of fresh parsley, but thinly sliced basil leaves or sliced green onions would also be great choices. Whether you’re looking for a recipe for a BBQ or a simple dinner option for a busy weeknight, this grilled chicken fits the bill!
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Grilled Citrus and Herb Chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts thin cut is best
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic finely minced
- the zest and juice from 1 lemon
- the zest and juice from 1 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Optional: lemon wedges for serving
- Place the olive oil, garlic, lemon and orange zest, lemon and orange juice, basil, oregano and thyme in a resealable plastic bag. Seal and shake to combine.
- Place the chicken in the bag, seal and shake until chicken is coated with the marinade.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Preheat the grill or a grill pan over medium high heat.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and season both sides generously with salt and pepper.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes on each side or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from grill and let the chicken rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve, with lemon wedges if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Other Recipes You Might Like: