This simple Instant Pot Pasta with meatballs is the type of easy, all-in-one instant pot meal that we all love! It includes uncooked penne pasta, frozen meatballs and a simple homemade red sauce.
Instant Pot Pasta with Meatballs
- 2 lbs frozen cooked meatballs
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 3 cups water
- 24 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried minced Onion
- 3 Tablespoons fresh basil leaves chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried basil)
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese for garnish
- Add meatballs to the bottom of the Instant Pot. Add uncooked pasta on top, spreading into an even layer. Pour water over pasta.
- Add crushed tomatoes, seasonings and tomato sauce and gently stir with a spoon. Smooth the sauce to completely cover the noodles.
- Cook on High Pressure (Manuafor 5 minutes. When the timer beeps, do a controlled quick release until pressure has released. Stir. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Instant Pot Pasta with Meatballs
Hey everyone, this is Lauren visiting again from Tastes Better from Scratch. I’m a huge fan of easy Instant Pot dinners and this simple pasta dish is exactly that. It’s perfect for busy weeknights when you only have a few minutes to throw dinner together, but you still want something homemade. I’m confidant your family will love it!
How to make Instant Pot Pasta with meatballs:
- Add frozen meatballs to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add the uncooked penne pasta and water.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, seasonings, and tomato sauce, making sure to cover the noodles completely.
- Cook at High Pressure for 5 minutes, followed by a quick release of the pressure when the timer beeps.
It’s as easy as that! You can use frozen meatballs or uncooked homemade meatballs. If using uncooked meatballs, brown them in the bottom of the instant pot first, on the sauté setting. You don’t need to cook them all the way through.
I like to add fresh shredded parmesan and crushed red pepper as garnish.
More ways to adapt this recipe:
- Substitute crushed fire roasted tomatoes to add some spice.
- Stir in spinach at the end
- Add cheese at the end
Serve it with a green salad and breadsticks, for a complete meal!
such a great recipe I will try it. its looks amazing! So easy to make. I need this right now. I’m really in the mood for something like this, so I’m planning to make this in a couple of days. I’m so happy to have come across this post. It definitely is the right time to cook it.
Made this with my Ninja foodi 5qt and followed exact recipe and turned out excellent .. was a great last minute meal ,ready in no time and made with frozen meatballs .. thanks ..will make again
Does take a bit of time for the pressure to build but worked great.
Made this for the first time tonight and I am in love! This sauce is to die for! So easy and full of flavor. If I want to make just the sauce alone would I still need to add the water to it or omit it all together? Thank you again for a wonderful easy dinner!
You will still need the water in the recipe.
Could this be done with just ground beef to make more of a meat sauce? Would you use one pound of ground beef and brown it first then follow the remainder of the recipe?
Yes, that is correct. Hope that helps!
can this whole recipe be cooked in a 6 qt. I was told not to fill to full in these pots
I use an 8 qt instant pot and love the size of that just to be on the safe side. I do believe this recipe does work in a 6 qt instant pot though. If it is seeming a little full you are welcome to half the recipe or narrow it down for what you are wanting to add to your instant pot. Hope that helps and you can enjoy your meatballs soon! XOXO
By controlled release do you mean quick release?
Yes, same thing! Hope you enjoy your meatballs!! XOXO
What instant pot do you use?
I like to use the Instant Pot brand and the 8 qt. for my family. Hope that helps! XOXO