Cooking a whole chicken has never been easier than this Instant Pot roasted chicken! The chicken cooks in just 30 minutes and produces a moist and juicy bird that’s the perfect simple dinner option!
I love to make roasted whole chickens – they’re economical, taste great and the leftovers make countless other delicious meals. I don’t always have the 90+ minutes it takes to roast a whole chicken, so I tried cooking one in my Instant Pot and I am hooked! In just 30 minutes I had dinner on the table and it was a hit with the whole family!
The first step to cooking a chicken in your Instant Pot is to mix together some spices to season your bird with. I like a combination of salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder and onion powder. You can also try a Mexican style chicken with chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and coriander; there are so many flavor possibilities! The chicken is first browned in the Instant Pot, then pressure cooked for 25 minutes. I like to put together my side dishes while the chicken cooks. I typically make a simple pasta or rice and a green veggie to go on the side.
You’ll be amazed at how juicy and tender your Instant Pot chicken is! It tastes like rotisserie chicken, but you can make it at home for a fraction of what it would cost to buy one at the grocery store.
The best part about cooking a whole chicken is that there’s bound to be lots of meat leftover! The leftover meat is perfect shredded and served in tacos, soups or salads.
If you’re looking for chicken with extra crispy skin, you can always stick your fully cooked bird until the broiler for 5-6 minutes as a final touch. However you serve your Instant Pot chicken, it will most definitely be on the dinner time rotation on a regular basis!
Instant Pot Roasted Chicken
- 1 4-5 lb whole chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Place the salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder and onion powder in a small bowl; stir to combine.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the outside of the chicken.
Press the Saute function (Normal setting) on the Instant Pot and add the olive oil to the pot.
- Place the chicken in the pot, breast side down and cook until browned, 4-5 minutes.
- Flip the chicken over and add the chicken broth to the pot.
- Seal the Instant Pot.
- Select the Manual pressure and adjust the timer to 25 minutes.
- Let the Instant Pot naturally release the pressure at the end of the cooking time.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and serve.