This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Key Lime Poke Cake is a delicious white cake that is seeping with a sweet and tart mixture that soaks into the holes. Topped with fresh whipping cream and strawberries this makes a delicious dessert!
Hi, it’s Jenn, from Eat Cake For Dinner. Every Summer, I suddenly become obsessed with key lime everything and I have been craving it like crazy lately. I love that super tart, make you pucker-up, flavor of key limes. Key lime was not a flavor I ever ate growing up, but I have been hooked ever since my first bite of that key lime pie 6 or so years ago.
This poke cake satisfies my craving for both key lime and cake. If you have ever made a poke cake, then you know how easy they are.
This delicious cake starts with a boxed white cake that you prepare according to package directions. After it’s baked, you poke holes all over and then cover it in a sweet and tart key lime mixture that soaks down into the cake and fills all those holes. Top it all off with some fresh whipped cream and strawberries. The perfect blend of tart and sweet. What’s your favorite key lime recipe?
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Key Lime Poke Cake
- 1 box white cake mix plus ingredients called for on the box
For the Key Lime Filling:
- Fresh strawberries sliced
- lime slices opt.
- grated lime zest opt.
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions for a 9x13-inch pan. Remove from oven, cool for 5 minutes and then poke holes all over the cake using the handle of a wooden spoon, being careful not to poke all the way to the bottom; set aside.
For the Filling:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, whipping cream, lime zest and food coloring. Last, stir in the key lime juice. Once you add the key lime juice, it will start to thicken pretty quickly. Pour filling over the top of the cake, spread back and forth so it fills the holes. Refrigerate for at least one hour or up to overnight.
For the Topping:
- Add the whipping cream to a medium bowl that has been chilled in the freezer. Using a hand mixer, mix cream until frothy. Add the vanilla and gradually add the sugar as you mix. Mix until peaks form. Spread over cake and garnish with sliced strawberries, sliced limes and grated lime zest, if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.