Perfectly chewy chocolate chip cookie bars with an ooey gooey peanut butter caramel center. These will be one of the best treats that you make!
You guys. Peanut Butter Caramel. It’s a thing. And oh my goodness. It is a game changer.
I love anything that is filled with gooey caramel. There is nothing more delicious than taking a bite into a dessert bar and having a caramel center. So when I saw that peanut butter caramel was a thing, I couldn’t wait to try it out!
The original recipe is called “knock you naked” bars. So these had to be pretty dang good to knock you naked! I made them the night before to let the caramel completely cool and set. I couldn’t wait to have one for breakfast. 🙂
My first bite was incredible. Seriously my mind was blown. I used my favorite chocolate chip cookie bar base and it was so chewy and perfect. And then the peanut butter caramel center was amazing. A peanut butter flavored caramel… you guys are going to love it!
The problem is that I cut these into little 2 inch squares. So slowly the squares started to disappear. The entire family couldn’t get enough! They are so addicting. We finally went had to give them away because we would have eaten them all. These are one of the best cookie bars that I have ever had!! You are going to love them just as much as we did!
Recipe adapted from Julies Eats
Peanut Butter Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Chocolate Chip Cookie:
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup sugar granulated
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups chocolate chips
Peanut Butter Caramel:
- 14 ounces caramels soft
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. This helps for easy removal.
- In a large mixing bowl combine melted butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Mix until incorporated. Add eggs and vanilla and mix. Add flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix until the dough comes together. Fold in chocolate chips. Spread half of the dough into the bottom of your 9x13. (A little more than half if needed) Bake for 8-9 minutes.
- While the dough is baking prepare the peanut butter caramel. In a microwave safe bowl, add caramels and heavy cream. Cook for 30 seconds at a time stirring to be careful that it doesn't burn. Once melted, add in the peanut butter and vanilla and mix until smooth. (You can also melt the caramel over the stove in a saucepan)
- Drizzle the peanut butter caramel on top and spread evenly. Crumble remaining dough on top of the caramel. Bake for an additional 18-20 minutes or until lightly brown. Remove from the oven and allow to completely cool before cutting.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.