This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Hey hey it’s Tiffany from Creme de la Crumb! I’m still freaking out a little bit that it’s 2016 and that January is over and it is now February! It is insane how fast time flies. That being said, I am definitely ready for some warmer weather. As much as I love fuzzy socks and freshly fallen snow… I’m ready. For sunny days and flip flops and eating lunch on the back deck. Gimme gimme!
So on that note, I welcome another month. February in fact which is the month of luuuuuuuv. Or at least love for all things red velvet. These thumbprint cookies are buttery pillows of dreamy cookie goodness filled with rich cream cheese frosting and I have eaten WAY too many of them. But hey, it’s not swimsuit season yet. So bring on the sweet V-day indulgences!
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Red Velvet Thumbprint Cookies with Cream Cheese Filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar for about 2 minutes or until creamy. Stir in egg, food coloring and vanilla until completely blended. Mix in flour, cocoa and salt until blended.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on your prepared baking sheet. Press thumb into center of each cookie to make indentation, but be careful not to press all the way to the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool on cooling racks.
- To make the frosting, beat together the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy (1-2 minutes). Mix in vanilla. Gradually mix in powdered sugar until incorporated. Pipe into the center of each filled cookie. Add sprinkles if desired. Store in airtight container at room temperature or chilled.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.