Have you noticed a new and improved blog? Yeah it was designed by this cute girl. I have been a fan of Something Swanky for a long time. The treats that she makes all look absolutely amazing. She is so talented in blog design and making awesome treats. I was thrilled when she wanted to guest post for me and I knew that it would be good. And you better believe that I am making these delicious cookies as soon as I get home from my cruise!
Hiya RC readers! Ashton here from Something Swanky. I’m super excited to be hanging out over here at Alyssa’s place today!! I was fortunate enough to get to spend some time in person with Alyssa at the BYB conference, and I just think she is so amazing.
I’ve seen lots of Skinny Recipes over here lately in preparation for Alyssa’s cruise. And I can’t wait to make some of them myself! But, I’m afraid I’m here to ruin the diet.
It’s a great basic cake mix recipe. For this adaptation, I used Duncan Hines Caramel Cake mix, omitted all of the sprinkles and chunks (although I think pecans would be awesome), drizzled caramel over top, and sprinkled with sea salt.
Oh, yeah. Caramel Cookie heaven 🙂
Southern Caramel cake cookies
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups caramel cake mix
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 Tbsp. butter softened
- 6 Tbsp. shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 24 Kraft caramels unwrapped
- 2 tbsp water
- 1-2 tbsp sea salt for sprinkling
- In a large bowl, mix together together flour, cake mix, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until creamy.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not OVERMIX the dough.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop by rounded tablespoons of the cold dough onto a a parchment or silicon lined baking sheet. Shape your cookie dough balls to be “taller” than they are wide. Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are obviously done. The centers will still appear very soft, but the cookies will set as they cool.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Microwave the caramels and water together for 1 minute (addition time if needed). Drizzle over top of the cookies and sprinkle with sea salt.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.