Hey Recipe Critic readers! It’s Chelsea back again from Chelsea’s Messy Apron. Today I have some cookies that would be a perfect Mother’s Day dessert for the special ladies in your life. First off, they are pink. Second, they taste amazing. (Some of my favorite cookies ever!) And third, there is strawberry Jell-O in the mix. See? The perfect Mother’s Day treat!
These cookies are very simple to make and don’t have any added coloring. All of that color comes from the Jell-O mix.
You could try different flavors, for this one I used strawberry! The raspberry or orange Jell-O mix would make some delicious cookies using this same base recipe and just switching out the flavor of the Jell-O.
The rest of the ingredients are pretty standard cookie stuff – flour, sugar, butter, etc.
These cookies bake at a slightly higher temperature than most cookies. They are baked at 400 degrees F instead of a typical 350 degree F oven. They also can burn very quickly if you aren’t keeping an eye on them. One minute they will be under baked and the next they could be burned. I baked the batches all at about 6-8 minutes, but start checking yours at 6 minutes and every minute after that to ensure they cook don’t burn. The variance in time depends on the sizes of your cookies. I used a standard cookie scoop which helps to take out the guessing.
As a last touch, I added coconut to these cookies which give a great flavor and add a unique twist. However, you could switch out the coconut for something else like white chocolate chips if you don’t love coconut.
And a nice finishing touch would be to stack the cookies and tie a ribbon around them to give to mom! Enjoy 🙂
Here are some more treats from Chelsea’s Messy Apron
(No-Bake) Funfetti Cookie Dough Bars
(Mini) Orange-Raspberry Toaster Strudels
Flourless Skinny Double-Chocolate Muffins
Deep Dish Skillet S’mores
You can also connect with Chelsea’s Messy Apron here!
Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Twitter
Strawberry Jell-o & Coconut Cookies
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup white sugar scant
- 1/4 cup strawberry Jell-O mix dry
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using hand beaters or a stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar (scant means not quite a half cup. Leave out about a tablespoon) and dry Jell-O mix until light and creamy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the salt, baking powder and flour.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Stir in the coconut.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop out large bits of the dough, and place them on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 6 to 8 minutes, and then transfer the cookies to a cooling rack.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Love the recipes
These look great! I love using Jello in my baking.