Strawberry Pound Cake. Tender and juicy strawberries are baked right into this lighter Pound cake made with NO BUTTER and using greek yogurt instead! Topped with a drizzle of cream cheese glaze.
Hey everyone! Serene from House of Yumm back with you today to share this delightful Strawberry Pound Cake.
Can you Make a Pound Cake Without Butter?
Yes you can! Traditionally a pound cake it named this because it’s made with a pound of four ingredients: flour, butter, sugar and eggs.
This pound cake is made without the BUTTER though! Making it somewhat lighter. Instead we’re going to use greek yogurt and a little bit of oil to keep the bread tender and moist.
How Do You Add Fruit to Pound Cake?
Adding fruit to pound cake is really easy! We’re adding strawberries to this particular pound cake. To have the strawberry pound cake still turn out you need to make sure you’re cutting the strawberries up. Not too small, but not too large either. I find that cutting the strawberries into 8ths is usually a perfect size.
We also only want to use a cup of berries. Adding too many berries to this particular recipe will result in the pound cake not being able to hold itself together due to the amount of berries.
A small sprinkling of flour on the berries before adding them to the batter helps to keep the berries from sinking while baking. This ensures that that there will be berries throughout the cake.
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 and ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- ½ tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray loaf pan (mine is 9×5) with baking spray and set aside.
- In large bowl mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Whisk together to combine.
- In another medium bowl beat the eggs, add in the greek yogurt, vanilla extract, vegetable oil, stir until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir gently to mix.
- Toss the strawberries with the ½ tablespoon of flour. Once batter is mostly mixed, gently fold in the strawberries.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Using the back of the spoon evenly spread the batter.
- Bake for approximately 60 minutes. Top will be browned and a toothpick inserted into the middle will come out clean once done. Allow to cool in pan for about 10 minutes then turn the pan upside down to remove the bread from the pan. Move loaf to wire rack to continue cooling.
- While bread is cooling you can prepare the glaze. In small bowl beat the cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Add in the powdered sugar and milk. Stir to combine. Should be a smooth consistency. Add more sugar or milk to reach desired consistency.
- Pour the glaze over the cooled bread.
- Serve immediately or store bread in sealed container. I wrap mine in foil. Store at room temperature for 3-4 days.