Strawberry Pound Cake. Tender and juicy strawberries are baked right into this lighter Pound cake made with NO BUTTER and using greek yogurt instead! Topped with a drizzle of cream cheese glaze.
Hey everyone! Serene from House of Yumm back with you today to share this delightful Strawberry Pound Cake.
Can you Make a Pound Cake Without Butter?
Yes you can! Traditionally a pound cake it named this because it’s made with a pound of four ingredients: flour, butter, sugar and eggs.
This pound cake is made without the BUTTER though! Making it somewhat lighter. Instead we’re going to use greek yogurt and a little bit of oil to keep the bread tender and moist.
How Do You Add Fruit to Pound Cake?
Adding fruit to pound cake is really easy! We’re adding strawberries to this particular pound cake. To have the strawberry pound cake still turn out you need to make sure you’re cutting the strawberries up. Not too small, but not too large either. I find that cutting the strawberries into 8ths is usually a perfect size.
We also only want to use a cup of berries. Adding too many berries to this particular recipe will result in the pound cake not being able to hold itself together due to the amount of berries.
A small sprinkling of flour on the berries before adding them to the batter helps to keep the berries from sinking while baking. This ensures that that there will be berries throughout the cake.
If you’re really into fruit pound cakes, I also have this Blueberry Lemon Pound Cake that is amazingly flavorful as well. You can also add lemon to this bread to create a Strawberry Lemon Pound Cake.
Strawberry Pound Cake
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 and ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1/2 tablespoon all purpose flour
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 2 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Spray loaf pan (mine is 9×5) with baking spray and set aside.
- In large bowl mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Whisk together to combine.
- In another medium bowl beat the eggs, add in the greek yogurt, vanilla extract, vegetable oil, stir until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir gently to mix.
- Toss the strawberries with the ½ tablespoon of flour. Once batter is mostly mixed, gently fold in the strawberries.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Using the back of the spoon evenly spread the batter.
- Bake for approximately 60 minutes. Top will be browned and a toothpick inserted into the middle will come out clean once done. Allow to cool in pan for about 10 minutes then turn the pan upside down to remove the bread from the pan. Move loaf to wire rack to continue cooling.
- While bread is cooling you can prepare the glaze. In small bowl beat the cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Add in the powdered sugar and milk. Stir to combine. Should be a smooth consistency. Add more sugar or milk to reach desired consistency.
- Pour the glaze over the cooled bread.
- Serve immediately or store bread in sealed container. I wrap mine in foil. Store at room temperature for 3-4 days.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
I can’t wait to try this recipe! My garden in overflowing right now with strawberries. Plus, I love Greek yogurt and using that instead of all the butter makes me feel less guilty eating it!
This strawberry pound cake looks delicious and using greek yogurt is good instead of all that butter but what about the sugar. Can you use stevia or something like that?
You are welcome to change the recipe to make it your own. It may change the taste and consistency of the recipe but it will still taste similar. Hope that helps and you are able to make these soon! XOXO
Hi, Alyssa! I must say your recipe is great. This is the first time I did this cake, but it is quite delicious. Thank you for sharing
That is great to hear! I am so glad that you loved it! Thank you so much for sharing! XOXO