This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
You cannot beat a homemade sugar cookie with a crisp edge and a soft center. These are the BEST! Topped with my favorite cream cheese frosting and sprinkles, these sugar cookies are a tried and true favorite.
A Reader’s Review
I have tried so many sugar cookie recipes over the years! I found this and used it for my son’s grad party, as well as a friend’s. This is PERFECT. I’ve also shared this recipe with a few others who asked for it after tasting the cookies, and it is now the go to for all of us!
The Best Sugar Cookie Recipe
I sure do love sugar cookies! Some people’s favorites are chocolate chip but not mine. Not only are they delicious, but my kids love to help make sugar cookies! We love spending some time in the kitchen making cookies together. I have had a lot of sugar cookies in my day. Some are way too crisp and not soft enough on the inside. You are going to quickly agree that they are the best! Trust me. I made sure by eating at least 3!
I love this recipe because it is the best of both worlds. They are a bit crisp on the outside but not too crispy, and they have the softest center! The edges don’t expand while baking, and they come out looking in the perfect shape. This recipe is a classic, and the dough comes together in a matter of minutes. But I found that the secret to the best sugar cookie is added almond extract. The almond extract adds a rich and delicious almond flavor, making them absolutely perfect.
Ingredients in Sugar Cookies
These cookies are perfect for your Valentine’s Day festivities and are so good that you will want to make them throughout the year! Just change up your cookie cutter, and you are ready to go! See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact ingredient measurements.
- Butter: If your ingredients are at room temperature then they will mix together more smoothly.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar will make this recipe sweet.
- Egg: The egg will help bind the dough together.
- Vanilla Extract: This will enhance the flavors of the sweet ingredients.
- Almond Extract: The secret ingredient to making these sugar cookies the best!
- Flour: I used all purpose flour for this recipe.
- Baking Powder: This helps the cookie be soft and not chewy.
- Salt: This enhances the flavors.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream Cheese: Put this on your counter before you plan to bake so that it can soften up.
- Butter: I used unsalted, sofened butter to make the frosting smooth,
- Powdered Sugar: Using powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar works better because this diddolves quickly and creats a smooth texture.
- Vanilla Extract: This enhances the sweetness of the frosting.
- Food Coloring: This is totally optional depending on if you want your frosting to be different colors for different occasions.
How To Make Sugar Cookies
These cookies come together so easily! This recipe will become your favorite go-to sugar cookie recipe that you will make again and again.
- Beat: In a large bowl beat the butter until smooth and creamy for about one minute. Add the sugar and continue to beat until creamy for about 2 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla, and almond extract and continue to beat until incorporated.
- Mix and chill: In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add to the creamed mixture and continue to beat until the dough comes together. Form the dough into a ball and chill in the fridge for one hour and can be chilled overnight.
- Preheat oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Roll dough out to desired thickness (mine were 1/4 inch thick) and cut with cookie cutters. Transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake: Bake for 8-11 minutes or until just set. I like mine more soft so I cooked mine for 8 minutes. Let cookies cool completely before frosting.
- Frost: To make the cream cheese frosting, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and continue to beat until it is smooth and creamy. Frost cooled cookies.
Do I Have to Chill the Sugar Cookie Dough?
YES! The dough does require an hour of chilling time. This step is essential to how the cookies hold up and helps ensure that the dough doesn’t spread.
Sugar Cookie Baking Tips
These cookies are SOO GOOD, and I want to help make sure that yours turn out perfectly! Here are a few tips and tricks to use while making these cookies.
- Room Temperature Ingredients: Before mixing up your dough, take the time to set your ingredients out so that they can soften up. Room temperature ingredients mix up SO much better and your batter and frosting will be so smooth with no lumps!
- Don’t Open the Oven: So many people are tempted to open the oven to check out how their cookies are doing. Don’t do it! This causes the hot air to be released and can result in your cookies being baked unevenly. Use the oven light instead!
- Frosting: If you want to change things up, you can use different types of frosting on these cookies to change the look and taste. Try this Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting or this Chocolate Buttercream Frosting instead!
How to Store Leftovers
Sugar cookies make fantastic leftovers because they can last for about a week! So double up that recipe and make a few extra to enjoy!
- On the counter: Store any leftover cookies in an airtight container on your counter. They will last up to 7 days!
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
The Best Sugar Cookies Ever!
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until smooth and creamy for about one minute. Add the sugar and continue to beat until creamy for about 2 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla, and almond extract and continue to beat until incorporated.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add to the creamed mixture and continue to beat until the dough comes together. Form the dough into a ball and chill in the fridge for one hour and can be chilled overnight.
- Bake for 8-11 minutes or until just set. I like mine more soft so I cooked mine for 8 minutes. Let cookies cool completely before frosting.
To make the cream cheese frosting
- Beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and continue to beat until it is smooth and creamy. Frost cooled cookies.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.