This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Tuna burgers are like a tasty remix of regular beef burgers, bringing a lighter and more flavorful option to the table that seafood fans can’t resist. With zingy lemon, fragrant herbs, and the deliciousness of tuna, these burgers are a total mouthwatering delight that will satisfy even the biggest burger cravings.
Tuna Burger Recipe
Tuna burgers are the bomb when it comes to summer barbecues! Forget about the same old beef patties—these babies are a fresh and tasty alternative. Picture this: juicy, flaky canned tuna combined with zesty lemon zest, tangy mayo, and a bunch of other mouthwatering ingredients. We’re talking breadcrumbs for a bit of crunch, chopped dill and green onions for a burst of freshness, and a hint of lemon juice to really make those flavors pop. These burgers are so darn delicious, you won’t even believe they’re light!
Now, let’s talk about why these bad boys are perfect for summer cookouts. First off, tuna is a lean protein that’s not only super healthy but also packed with omega-3s. So, you can chow down guilt-free while still getting your protein fix. And let’s not forget about the refreshing factor. With that zingy lemon and dill combo, these burgers will keep you feeling cool and satisfied on those scorching hot days. Plus, they’re totally customizable! Slap on some juicy tomato slices, peppery arugula, and tangy red onions, and you’ve got a personalized masterpiece. Trust me, once you sink your teeth into these tuna burgers, you’ll never want to go back to beef. Summer barbecue game changer, right here!
Get ready to rock your taste buds with these epic tuna burgers! They’re the perfect choice for any backyard BBQ, bursting with flavors that’ll make your mouth water. So, let’s break down all the ingredients you’ll need for them. (Exact measurements are in the recipe card below.)
- Canned Tuna: These little cans bring the flaky texture and tasty seafood flavor to the party. Mix it up with different types like chunk light or solid white.
- Mayonnaise: Creamy and tangy, mayo keeps things moist and holds everything together. Want a swap? Greek yogurt or sour cream will also do the trick.
- Bread Crumbs: These make the burgers firm and add a satisfying crunch.
- Lemon Zest and Juice: Fresh lemons bring that zingy citrus kick. Zest for fragrant oils, juice for tanginess. Bottled lemon juice works too, but fresh is best.
- Fresh Dill and Green Onions (or Shallots): Dill brings a cool freshness, while green onions or shallots pack a savory punch.
- Egg: This binds everything together and keeps the burgers in shape. It also adds moisture and texture.
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper: Simple seasonings that boost flavor. Adjust to taste.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: For cooking the burgers and adding a tasty richness. Swap with vegetable oil or any high-smoke-point cooking oil.
- Hamburger Buns: Soft and perfect for holding your delicious creations. Try different types like whole wheat or brioche!
- Toppings of Choice: I used tomato slices, peppery arugula, crunchy red onion, and a dollop of mayo for my tuna burgers. Get creative and use your favorites here!
How to Make Tuna Burgers
It’s so easy and only takes 15 minutes from start to finish. This simple tuna burger recipe is the perfect summer recipe for seafood lovers!
- Combine Ingredients: In a large bowl, add the drained tuna, mayonnaise, bread crumbs, lemon juice, lemon zest, green onion, chopped dill, egg, salt, and pepper.
- Shape: Stir to combine then form 3 tuna patties.
- Cook: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Then add the patties and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Serve: Serve in a bun with toppings of choice!
If you want to become a tuna burger pro, I’ve got you covered with these super easy tips. They’ll have you whipping up mouthwatering burgers that’ll make everyone go crazy. So, let’s dive right in and get grilling!
- Go For the Good Stuff: Get yourself some quality canned tuna for a flavor-packed burger. Look for the solid or chunky kind—it’ll give your burgers a killer texture.
- Drain Your Tuna: Make sure to drain the canned tuna thoroughly to remove excess liquid. Excess moisture can make the burgers too wet and difficult to shape.
- Get Creative With Seasoning: While this tuna burger recipe provides a basic flavor profile, don’t be afraid to experiment with additional seasonings or spices. You can add a dash of Worcestershire sauce, a pinch of paprika, or even some minced garlic to elevate the taste.
- Use a Non-Stick Skillet: To prevent the tuna burgers from sticking, use a non-stick skillet or grill pan. If using a regular skillet, make sure to brush it with a little oil before cooking.
How Long Do Tuna Patties Last?
Leftover tuna patties will usually stay good in the fridge for around 3-4 days. Just make sure to keep them in an airtight container to maintain their freshness. They can also be stored in the freezer in a sealed bag for about 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before you use them.
To Reheat: Warm over the stove or in the oven for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
- 12 ounces canned tuna, drained (2 cans)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions, or shallots
- 1 egg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 hamburger buns
- Toppings of choice: tomato, arugula, red onion, mayonniase
- In a large bowl, add the drained tuna, mayonnaise, bread crumbs, lemon juice, lemon zest, green onion, chopped dill, egg, salt, and pepper.
- Stir to combine and form 3 patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Serve in a bun with toppings of choice!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.