Hey guys! So glad to see you again! It’s Liz from Love Grows Wild, and I just love coming back to The Recipe Critic to visit! Today is all about sweets, and I think you’re going to flip when you see this grown-up twist on classic rice krispie treats! We all love turtle candies, right? Soft, creamy caramel paired with rich chocolate and crunchy, nutty pecans… they’re one of my favorites! Well today I made a delicious batch of rice krispie treats and gave them a special turtle topping! You won’t believe how tasty these treats are or how easy they are to make!
So we’ve all made rice krispie treats at least once in our lives, right? Melt some butter and marshmallows into a big, sticky blob and add lots of that delicious Snap, Crackle, Pop cereal until the rice krispie mixture is formed… it’s a pretty standard recipe, and honestly I could probably eat an entire pan of these gooey marshmallow treats if my kids didn’t steal them first!
There’s just something so nostalgic and comforting about this recipe. As I make them with my kids, I can remember standing on a chair in my Mom’s kitchen when I was a little girl, stirring that big bowl of marshmallow-covered cereal. For as long as I can remember, it always has been and always will be a classic!
But here’s the way my brain works: if rice krispies are good and turtle candies are downright delicious, then a combination of the two of them must be AMAZING! And guess what… they are!
These really could not be simpler to make. It’s a great last minute recipe for when you forget you were supposed to bring something to a party… not that you or I would ever forget that though, right? 😉
Just make your standard rice krispie mixture and press it into a 13″ x 9″ baking dish. Then melt a bag of caramels with a little bit of milk and pour that over the rice krispies. Sprinkle some chopped pecans on top and finish off with a chocolate drizzle. That’s it!
When I’m in a hurry, I’ll pop the rice krispies into the fridge or freezer to cool quickly so I can cut them without gooey caramel getting everywhere. You can cut them into whatever shape your heart desires, but I like to do long strips just for something different. These ARE unique, grown-up rice krispies after all. 🙂 I hope you enjoy them!
Stop by Love Grows Wild anytime to say hi and check out more delicious dessert recipes like:
Turtle Rice Krispie Treats
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 package marshmallows 10 ounce
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 package caramel bits 11 ounce
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- Microwave butter in a large microwaveable bowl on high for 45 seconds or until melted. Add marshmallows and toss to coat. Microwave for 45 seconds and stir. Microwave for another 45 seconds or until marshmallows are completely melted and stir until well combined. Add the cereal and mix well. Press mixture into a foil-lined 13" x 9" pan sprayed with cooking spray. Tip: Spray the back of a spoon or spatula with cooking spray to help press the cereal without sticking.
- Microwave the caramels and milk in a medium microwaveable bowl for 2 to 2 ½ minutes or until caramels are completely melted, stirring after each minute. Pour caramel over cereal and spread evenly. Sprinkle with chopped pecans and press lightly into the caramel to secure.
- Microwave the chocolate in a small microwaveable bowl for 1 minute or until completely melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Drizzle chocolate over the nuts and caramel. Allow treats to cool and set before cutting to serve. Tip: To quickly cool the treats, place them in the refrigerator or freezer for 10-20 minutes before cutting.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.