We have had quite the unusual start to winter here in Utah. By now we usually have to bundle ourselves up like the kid in the Christmas story every time we go out. Usually by now we always have snow. Well this year is different. There is no snow. And it is nice outside! Like 55 degrees and jacket weather. I could hear kids playing at the park today and kids riding their bikes outside. It was glorious. I keep thinking that if this is global warming then bring it on! 😉
I am still reminded that it is the holidays with the Christmas lights and holiday baking. And gingerbread. Love gingerbread! But this cake was THE BEST GINGERBREAD CAKE I have had in my life! In fact, it was probably one of the best cakes I have ever had! You guys will not even believe how amazing it is. It baked perfectly and was so moist. But the caramel sauce. Oh.my.gosh. The caramel sauce on top was mind blowing. It went together so well on top of this warm cake. And then with a dollop of fresh whipped cream. Wow! I can’t get over how incredible it was. If you know what is good for you run to the store and get the ingredients to make this. Your family will go nuts over this amazing cake. It is perfect for the holidays and so amazing, I might just make it year round!
Recipe from Taste of Home
Warm Gingerbread Cake with a Caramel Sauce
A delicious and moist caramel cake that has an amazing caramel sauce on top! Serve it with some fresh whipped cream and you will have a family favorite recipe!
- 9 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
Caramel sauce ingredients:
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup butter cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- heavy whipped cream optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9 inch round or square pan and set aside. (I used a 9 inch springform pan and it worked great)
- In a large bowl or kitchenmaid mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg until blended together. Combine the flour, baking
- soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately
- with water.
- Pour the cake into the 9 inch pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack.
To make the caramel sauce:
- In a medium size saucepan, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Add the water and bring to a boil until the sauce starts to thicken about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cubed butter and vanilla until melted and smooth. Serve over warm cake with whipped cream.