Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Zucchini is my favorite summer vegetable.   So I was sad that we were in North Carolina and I couldn’t have a garden back in Utah waiting for me with thousands of zucchini.  Luckily our neighbors have a beautiful garden and are more than willing to share.  So you have no excuse not to make this amazing bread.  I am sure that you have a neighbor with an over abundance of zucchini just waiting to give to you.  :)

chocolatezucchinifinal
HOLY COW!  This bread will rock your world.  I have never made a quick bread that baked so incredibly perfect.  It was so moist and rich with chocolate.  It is awesome that it is packed with 1 1/2 cups of zucchini inside.  The tiny green flecks make it look so pretty.  But the brown sugar cinnamon crust on top.  Wow.  This is more like a dessert.  But I think it isn’t quite in the dessert group because of the zucchini.  So it is still a little heathy right?  My picky anti veggie 5 year old gobbled down a piece.  I just smiled knowing that he was eating zucchini. :)

chocolatezucchinifinal

Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Author:
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:

Serves: 8

A delicious chocolate quick bread with 1½ cups of zucchini inside! It bakes perfectly and has a beautiful cracked sugar crust topping!
Ingredients
  • 1 C flour
  • 1 t cinnamon
  • ¼ t salt
  • ¾ t baking soda
  • 3 T unsweetened cocoa powder
  • ¼ C canola oil
  • ½ C sugar
  • ¼ C brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 t vanilla
  • ¼ C sour cream
  • 1½ C grated zucchini
  • ½ C mini chocolate chips
  • zest from one orange (optional)
  • Topping:
  • 2 T brown sugar
  • 2 T white sugar
  • ½ t cinnamon

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a large 9″ bread pan and set aside. Mix topping ingredients and set aside.
  2. Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder in a small bowl until combined. Set aside.
  3. In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat together sugars, oil, and eggs for about 1-2 minutes until slightly fluffy. Add vanilla and sour cream.
  4. Fold in the grated zucchini (and zest if using). Add the remaining dry flour ingredients. Stir to combine and lastly fold in the chocolate chips.
  5. Pour into prepared 9″ bread pan. Sprinkle the topping on the top. Bake for 50-60 minutes. I set a time for 45 minutes and mine was done at that time. Oven temperatures vary, so just make sure a toothpick entered in the center comes clean.
  6. Let cool for about 5-10 minutes and remove from pan. Delicious served a little warm, even with a little butter on top. :)

Notes
Recipe adapted from Our Best Bites

Alyssa

Comments

1. Emma says

Hi,
    Being In the uk I’m not 100% sure is T a teaspoon or a tablespoon? Can’t wait to make this as I have a glut of courgettes coming!
    Thanks

2. Johanna says

Have you tried using dark mashed beans in replace of oil and eggs? I just heard that you can do this and the brownies I tried, you really couldn’t tell any taste difference. It makes them protein packed which takes away guilt! Can’t wait to sneak these past my kids.

3. Diddy says

I made this last night, cooled, & sliced this morning. SOOO delicious & moist thanks to the zucchini and sour cream.

Two issues I had:
    1) The yummy topping on mine cracked as it cooled which meant it mostly disintegrated into chunks and pieces when I turned it over to cool on the rack. Not sure why that happened, but although it messed up the presentation a bit, wasn’t a huge deal.
    2) I had a problem getting mine out the pan. Maybe I didn’t use enough butter or flour in the pan beforehand or maybe it’s because I had it in the pan a little more than the 5-10 mins after it was baked. So be mindful of both of those things,

Thanks for the awesome recipe! definitely making again!

4. SarahGrok says

Forget bread…this was like cake! I would classify this as the greatest chocolate CAKE I’ve ever had. It was amazing. I will never make regular chocolate cake again after this.

5. Jese says

I have made this twice first time as directed tasted great but did not keep the loaf shape. The second time I poured it in a 9×13 pan added a T more of the two sugars for the topping and a full t of cinnamon it turns out more like a coffee cake. So yummy! My boys-husband, 2.5 and 1.5 year olds love it!

6. Eve-Marie says

This was amazing! I veganized it by replacing the eggs with flax eggs (1 T ground flaxseed mixed with 3 T water for each egg), and replacing the sour cream with mashed banana. It was perfect – thank you!

7. says

I made this the other night and it was a huge success with my girls. Thank you so much for sharing. I love finding new recipes to try out and anything with some nutritional value is a great plus. It worked out perfect also because I had some leftover shredded zucchini from making my Zucchini brownie recipe for my daughters birthday cake on Sunday. You can get this recipe on my blog if you are interested. Again, thank you so much for sharing.

8. MaryAnn says

Delish!!!!!!!! Tastes just like my mama’s Italian Chocolate Christmas Cookies but in a bread! I made one substitution and used vanilla yogurt instead of sour cream. Mmmmmmmmm!

9. Judy says

I just cooked this recipe and I rate it a perfect 10. I didn’t have chocolate chips , so used a good quality finely chopped chocolate and used olive oil instead of canola oil Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe

10. Steph says

I tried this recipe yesterday and they turned out great! One modification: I didn’t have sour cream so I used greek yogurt and it worked perfectly. I also just put them into mini muffin tins instead of a loaf pan. Yum!

11. Karen says

Simple and quick. left out the chocolate chips as I didn’t have any. No matter – rich and moist and yummy. Only change I’d make next time is less of the crust. It’s nice but so thick that it cracked and pieces fell off. Half the volume would work better.

12. Meghan says

Came across this recipe on pinterest. Tried last night and looooooooooooooooooved it. My husband and I eat breakfast, in the car, on the way to work. I tried so hard to sneak bites of his while he was driving. So so so so so so so so so so gooood!

• Alyssa says

I don’t know if you have to or not. I just kind of scooped up the zucchini in the measuring cup and left most of the excess water.

13. Jean Poirier says

Wow! This recipe was amazing. I finally got my kids to eat zucchini bread! Even my picky husband liked it. Thanks so much for sharing this!

14. Marion says

Unbelievably delicious… Super rich and ooey gooey! I tripled the recipe and got a big bundt cake and a long loaf. Lots and lots of compliments. Thank you for sharing!

• Val says

Just baked your Chocolate Zucchini bread recipe using 3 small 3 x 6″ pans baked for 30 minutes in a convection oven. Delicious! Some of the crunchy crust came off when I removed bread from pans but laid it back on top. Thanks for sharing this easy to made recipe.

15. Tracey Halsch says

Just found this recipe for chocolate zucchini bread looks yummy. Would you be able to give me the calories?

Trackbacks