Hi friends! It’s Liz from Love Grows Wild, and I’m back to bring you this deliciously divine breakfast recipe today! I’ve taken classic coffee cake and turned it into perfect little muffins with a sweet raspberry filling and luscious vanilla glaze. These muffins are sure to become a breakfast favorite!
So let’s talk muffins! Back when I first met my husband, I made muffins all the time from those handy, little store-bought packages. And I have to say, they weren’t too shabby. But then I tried my first homemade version, these Lemon Raspberry Muffins, and everything changed!
They are so easy to whip up, and the flavor and texture you get from fresh, homemade muffins is beyond compare. So I started experimenting and came up with all kinds of different varieties that I love, and this, my friends, is one of them: Coffee Cake Muffins!
The base of these tasty muffins is flavored with a good amount of cinnamon and some strong-brewed coffee for that perfect coffee cake flavor. But if you’re not a coffee drinker, no worries! You can certainly still enjoy these muffins by substituting milk for the coffee. Either method creates a muffin with incredible flavor and texture that rivals even the best coffee cake!
In my opinion, the best coffee cakes feature two things: a sweet, fruity filling and a crunchy, cinnamon sugar topping. So naturally I had to have both of those in this recipe! The filling couldn’t be easier… I just use a dollop of whatever fruit preserves I have on hand! I fill the muffin cups about halfway with muffin batter (P.S. it should be a fairly sticky batter, by the way), and add a teaspoon of the fruit preserves in the center. Then I add the rest of the batter on top and sprinkle them with a scrumptious topping made with plenty of cinnamon and finely chopped walnuts… Yum!
Okay, I lied. The best coffee cakes have THREE important elements… Don’t forget to add a delicious vanilla glaze drizzled on top of the muffins! It’s the perfect sweet finish, the icing on the cake… literally! I use the same glaze for my apple turnovers, and I just love the way it falls into all the little nooks and crannies of the cinnamon sugar topping. Add as little or as much as you like! I like much. or more. or most. Whatever, I like lots of the sugary sweet stuff! 🙂
This versatile recipe would be fantastic on a brunch menu, and I hope you try it soon!
- For the Muffins:
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup strong brewed coffee, chilled or ¾ cup milk
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup raspberry preserves
For the Topping:
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small cubes
- ¼ cup walnuts, finely chopped
For the Vanilla Glaze:
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- For the Muffins: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and prepare 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. In another large bowl, combine the coffee, oil, and egg. Stir the dry ingredients into the coffee mixture until just combined and moist. You don't want to over-mix!
- Fill the paper-lined muffin cups with enough muffin batter to cover the bottom. Drop 1 teaspoon of raspberry preserves into the center of each muffin cup and top with remaining batter.
- For the Topping: In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (works best using a pasty blender), and stir in walnuts.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over the muffin batter and bake for 18-20 minutes. Remove pan from oven and cool 5 minutes.
- For the Vanilla Glaze: In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Mix to a smooth, thick consistency. Add more milk to thin, if necessary. Drizzle glaze over warm muffins and serve.
- Change up the flavors by trying a different fruit preserve for the filling. Orange marmalade is another one of my favorites!
More delicious breakfast ideas from Love Grows Wild:
Latest posts by Alyssa (see all)
- Weekly Menu Plan #77 - December 3, 2016
- One Pan Crispy Parmesan Paprika Chicken with Vegetables - November 27, 2016
- Overnight Caramel Banana French Toast with Caramel Syrup - November 26, 2016