This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
These lemon poppyseed muffins are super soft and loaded with fresh lemon flavor thanks to fresh juice and zest. Tender and moist, these muffins are the perfect breakfast or brunch companion!
Muffins are the perfect tasty treat to serve at breakfast time! They’re also a great on-the-go snack. If you’re looking for more homemade muffin recipes make sure you check out these Rhubarb Muffins, Denver Omelet Breakfast Muffins, or these Apple Crumb Muffins. It’s a great mix of savory and sweet!
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
These lemon poppyseed muffins are the happiest way to start the day! Loaded with fresh lemon juice and zest these muffins are so flavorful! Plus they are ultra tender thanks to the Greek yogurt added in. The delightful crunch of the poppyseeds makes these a delightful morning treat. Quick and easy to put together, these muffins can be made first thing in the morning, served as a highlight at a brunch, or even made in advance and frozen to serve as needed.
However you choose to serve them, one thing’s for sure! You’re going to love every bite. If you’ve never tried making muffins from scratch, you really are in for a treat. Not only does it make your kitchen smell great, but you have a fresh, tasty treat to enjoy throughout the day. Making homemade muffins gets pretty addictive so I’ll just leave a few more recipes with you here: strawberry cheesecake streusel muffins, apple crumb muffins, and red velvet cream cheese muffins.
Ingredients for Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Lemon poppy seed muffins require just a few simple ingredients such as flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, poppy seeds, eggs, milk, and butter. The combination of these basic ingredients creates a delicious and flavorful muffin! Exact measurements can be found below in the recipe card.
- Granulated Sugar: Adds sweetness to the muffins and balances the tartness of the lemon juice and zest.
- Lemon Zest: Adds a strong, fresh lemon flavor to the muffins.
- Melted Butter: Provides moisture and richness to the muffins.
- Eggs: Help bind the ingredients together and give the lemon poppy seed muffins structure.
- Greek Yogurt: Adds moisture and richness to the muffins while also providing a slight tangy flavor. It’s the secret ingredient to soft baked goods! You can also swap this out for sour cream or buttermilk.
- Vanilla Extract: Enhances the overall flavor of the muffins. Use pure vanilla extract if you have it, it makes the flavor so tasty!
- Milk: Adds moisture to the muffins, making them so tender and soft.
- Lemon Juice: Adds tartness and tangy flavor to the muffins, complementing the sweetness of the sugar.
- All-Purpose Flour: Gives the muffins structure.
- Salt: Just a pinch to keep your muffins from tasting bland!
- Baking Powder and Soda: Helps the muffins rise and gives them a light and fluffy texture.
- Poppyseeds: Add a slightly nutty flavor and a fun texture to the muffins.
Let’s Make Some Muffins!
These lemon poppy seed muffins are super easy to make. They’re also ready in less than 30 minutes! So quick and easy, perfect for an anytime treat.
- Preheat Oven, Prep Pan: Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Then line muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- Sugar Mixture: In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar and lemon zest together to infuse the sugar with the lemon flavor. It should be nice and fragrant.
- Add Wet Ingredients: In the bowl with the sugar combine the melted butter, eggs, Greek yogurt, vanilla, milk, and lemon juice. Then stir to combine.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: In a separate medium size mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Combine: Add the dry ingredients into the wet and stir just until combined. Then add the poppy seeds and stir to disperse.
- Add Batter to Muffin Tin: Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter, or use a large trigger cookie scoop, into the muffin tin so each muffin cup is about 3/4 full.
- Bake: Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 mins, then turn the heat down to 350 degrees and continue baking an additional 14-16 minutes. Don’t open the oven door.
- Check if Cooked and Enjoy: When baking is finished, muffins will be domed, and a toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean. Remove lemon poppy seed muffins and then allow to cool several minutes before serving.
Tips for Making the BEST Lemon Poppyseed Muffins:
Follow these simple tips and tricks, and your lemon poppy seed muffins will turn out perfectly! They may even rival your favorite bakery.
- Lemon Zest: Infuse the sugar with the lemon so it helps spread the lemon flavor throughout the entire batch.
- Greek Yogurt: Use Greek yogurt for extra moisture. Other options would be to use sour cream or buttermilk. It makes the muffins so soft!
- Bake at High Heat: The first burst of heat is high, at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. This gives a nice rise to the muffins. Then after the first 5 minutes of baking, turn the heat down to 350℉ to continue baking. Don’t open the door during the baking time. It lets all the hot air out! Your muffins won’t cook through evenly.
Storing Leftover Muffins
Muffins make the BEST leftovers. You can keep them at room temperature or in the fridge, and they’re perfect for taking on the go! Here’s how to keep them fresh.
- At Room Temperature: Store any leftover lemon poppy seed muffins in an airtight container for 3-4 days. You can also wrap them tightly in plastic wrap.
- In the Freezer: These muffins also freeze wonderfully. Once cooled, add the muffins to a freezer safe container or bag. They will keep for 2-3 months. Thaw by removing and putting in the refrigerator or on the counter. You can also put them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds to thaw and warm them up!
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- Muffin Tin
- Preheat oven to 425℉. Line muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar and lemon zest together to infuse the sugar with the lemon flavor, will be fragrant.
- In the bowl with the sugar combine the melted butter, eggs, greek yogurt, vanilla, milk, and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- In a separate medium size mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and stir just until combined. Then add the poppyseeds and stir to disperse.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter, or use a large trigger cookie scoop, into the muffin tin. Each muffin cup should be about 3/4 full.
- Bake at 425℉ for 5 mins, then turn the heat down to 350℉ and continue baking an additional 14-16 minutes. Don't open the oven door.
- When baking is finished, muffins will be domed, and a toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean. Remove and allow to cool several minutes before serving.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.