Perfect Lemon Bars will be the best lemon bars that you ever make. The shortbread crust topped with a tart and rich lemon center and finished off with a sprinkling of powder sugar.
The Best Lemon Bars
Lemon bars are a love or hate relationship. You either love them or you don’t. I for one, LOVE lemon bars. Like I am obsessed with them! I am the first to grab a lemon bar at any gathering. They are so dang good with that shortbread crust and that tangy tart lemon center. My hubby, on the other hand, hates lemon bars. So I make them any opportunity that I can to feed a crowd.
You will not find a better lemon bar recipe than this one. I have tried several and these are my requirements. A buttery shortbread crust with enough custardy lemon filling on top. I like the perfect ratio of shortbread with the lemon filling. And these are everything you have ever wanted in a lemon bar! I can even get my lemon hating husband to eat these bars.
How do you make lemon bars?
You start by making the shortbread crust. Then while the crust is baking you make the lemon filling. You pour the filling over the hot crust and continue to bake until set. Once they are cooled, you sprinkle the top with powdered sugar.
How do you cool lemon bars?
Once you remove the lemon bars from the oven, let cool to room temperature for at least two hours.
Do you put lemon bars in the fridge?
You can store lemon bars tightly covered at room temperature or in the fridge. But the flavor of the bars improves with refrigeration.
Picture update 3/18
Perfect Lemon Bars
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest from about 2 large lemons
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice from 3 to 4 large lemons
- 1/3 cup milk
- Additional confectioners' sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until blended. Slowly beat in 1 1/2 cups flour.
- Press into the bottom of a greased 13x9 pan and bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
- While baking, in a small bowl whisk eggs, sugar, zest, lemon juice, milk and remaining 3 T flour until frothy. Pour over the hot crust.
- Turn oven to 325 degrees and bake an additional 18-20 minutes until the top is lightly brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Dust the top with additional confectioners' sugar. Cut into bars and refrigerate leftovers.
More delicious lemon bar recipes: