Lemon curd is a perfect combination of sweet and tangy with a smooth creamy texture. This lemony goodness comes together in a matter of minutes!
Lemon is bright and yellow that brings out a ray of sunshine when making this curd. Other lemon recipes that bring out that pop of color that I love is this lemon berry trifle, no bake lemon pie and perfect lemon bars.
Perfect Lemon Curd
Seriously the best lemon curd ever! I love the flavor combination with the fresh lemon juice and added sweetness with the sugar. The lemon zest just adds another touch to make this even more flavorful. All I need is a spoon and can eat this like ice cream, it is that good!
When I was making this delicious lemon curd I knew it was going to be a hit. Simple ingredients and easy to make! I couldn’t believe the pop of flavor and even the color of yellow is beautifully presented in the jar. This is perfect for sharing with neighbors, family and friends. Enjoy it over top bakery goods or stir it into a light and tasty yogurt. The options are endless with this lemon curd recipe!
What is Lemon Curd?
It is beautiful and flavorful in every creamy delicious bite! Lemon curd is a decadent dessert topping or spread that is very rich in flavor. The sweet and creamy blend has an intense lemon flavor that has a hint of tartness to it. Some compare this curd to a jam version of dessert. With these simple ingredients this curd will come together quickly and easily over the stove top.
Homemade Lemon Curd Ingredients:
This is one of my very favorite recipes to make. It is light and refreshing but most of all reminds me of spring time and warmer days. With these simple ingredients that are already in your pantry and refrigerator you will have this lemon curd made soon enough.
- Large Eggs: Whisk together creating a smooth and frothy texture.
- Sugar: Tones down the tartness but also creates thickness in the curd.
- Lemon Juice: Freshly squeezed lemons are best and gives the perfect flavoring.
- Lemon Zest: Adds that extra pop to this lemon curd recipe.
- Salt: Just a pinch!
- Butter: Cut into slices and blend together creating a sweet and savory dessert.
Let’s Cook Some Lemons:
Lemon lovers this recipe is just for you! Be amazed with this intense flavoring and creamy texture that will melt in your mouth with every bite.
- In a medium size saucepan over medium heat whisk the eggs and sugar until combined. Add in lemon juice, zest, and salt. Whisk for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the butter and continue to whisk until melted. Continue to whisk until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and strain into a bowl and let cool. Store the curd in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Can also freeze up to 3 months.
What to Use Lemon Curd On?
Get ready for link overload! There are so many delicious recipes that can go under or on top of this lemon curd recipe. Add a little extra flavoring and sweetness to any recipe and taste the flavor instantly.
Here are some ideas to help!
- Bakery: Enjoy on scones, croissants or muffins
- Baking: Perfect for macarons filling or layering on strawberry shortcake recipes.
- Bread: Spread on English muffins, homemade biscuits or toast.
- Breakfast: Top on waffles, or pancakes or filling crepes with.
- Light and Tasty: Stir in yogurt, add in cottage cheese, or spoon on ice cream.
Tips and Help when Making Curd:
- How to make lemon curd thick: To thicken the lemon curd add another 2 egg yolks plus 1 whole egg as well as the eggs that are included in the recipe itself.
- Lemon Juice: It is best to use fresh lemons and squeeze them. This lemon squeezer is perfect and easy to use.
- Butter: If you use salted butter just omit the salt ingredient from the list.
- Straining the lemon zest: This is more of a preference. If you prefer not to strain the lemon zest that is fine too. It is so thin and small it is hard to taste the texture.
How to Store Lemon Curd:
- Refrigerator: Lemon curd does have to be stored in the refrigerator when not being used. If you are using the lemon curd on other recipes, place that recipe in the refrigerator as well. Store in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days. Use cold or at room temperature.
- Can you freeze lemon curd? Yes! Store it for longer in the freezer up to 1 month. When ready to use, thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Lemon Recipe You Will Love:
- Lemon Blueberry Poke Cake
- No Bake Lemon Macaroon Cheesecake
- Lemon Cheesecake Bars
- Miniature Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake
- Best Lemon Bundt Cake
Perfect Lemon Curd
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice about 3-4 lemons
- 1/4 cup lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- 10 Tablespoons butter sliced
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.