This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Lemon curd is a perfect combination of sweet and tangy with a smooth creamy texture. This lemony goodness comes together in a matter of minutes!
Lemon is bright and yellow which brings out a ray of sunshine when making this curd. Other lemon recipes that bring out that pop of color that I love is this lemon berry trifle, no-bake lemon pie, and perfect lemon bars.
A Reader’s Review
Best lemon curd ever!! Went on cheese-cake requested by my great grandson for his birthday. We all loved it and will definitely be making it again. So many things to use it on. Will be making more soon. Thank you!
What is Lemon Curd?
It is beautiful and flavorful in every creamy delicious bite! Lemon curd is a decadent dessert topping or spread that is very rich in flavor. The sweet and creamy blend has an intense lemon flavor that has a hint of tartness to it. Some compare this curd to a dessert-type jam With these simple ingredients, this curd will come together quickly and easily over the stovetop. I love the flavor combination with the fresh lemon juice and then the added sweetness of the sugar. The lemon zest just adds another touch to make this even more flavorful. All I need is a spoon and can eat this like ice cream, it is that good!
When I was making this delicious lemon curd I knew it was going to be a hit. I couldn’t believe the pop of flavor and even the color of yellow is beautifully presented in the jar. This is perfect for sharing with neighbors, family, and friends. Enjoy it in this cake, add it onto pancakes or stir it into a light and tasty yogurt. The options are endless with this lemon curd recipe!
Ingredients You Need
This is one of my very favorite recipes to make. It is light and refreshing, but most of all, it reminds me of springtime and warmer days. Because these ingredients are so simple and you probably already have them in your kitchen then you will have this lemon curd made soon enough. See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Large Eggs: Whisk together creating a smooth and frothy texture.
- Sugar: Tones down the tartness but also creates thickness in the curd.
- Lemon Juice: Freshly squeezed lemons are best and gives the perfect flavoring.
- Lemon Zest: Adds that extra pop to this lemon curd recipe.
- Salt: Just a pinch!
- Butter: Cut into slices and blend together creating a sweet and savory dessert.
How to Make Lemon Curd
Lemon lovers this lemon curd recipe is just for you! Prepare to be amazed because this intense flavoring and creamy texture will melt in your mouth with every bite.
- Whisk: In a medium size saucepan over medium heat whisk the eggs and sugar until combined. Then, add in lemon juice, zest, and salt. Whisk for 2-3 minutes.
- Melt: Add in the butter and continue to whisk until melted. Continue to whisk until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Strain and Cool: Remove from heat, strain into a bowl and then let cool. Store the curd in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Can also freeze up to 3 months.
What Do You Put Lemon Curd On?
Get ready for idea overload! So many delicious recipes can go under or on top of this lemon curd recipe. Add a little extra flavoring and sweetness to any recipe, and you will instantly taste the flavor. Here are some ideas to help!
- Baked Goods: Enjoy it on scones, croissants or muffins
- Use it While Baking: Perfect for macaron filling or layering on strawberry shortcake recipes.
- Perfect for a Spread: Spread on English muffins, homemade biscuits or toast.
- Try it for Breakfast: Top this homemade lemon curd on waffles, or pancakes or even as a delicious filling for some crepes!
- Add it to Dairy: Stir some in your yogurt, add it into cottage cheese, or spoon on ice cream.
- How to make lemon curd thick: To thicken the lemon curd add another 2 egg yolks plus 1 whole egg as well as the eggs that are included in the recipe itself.
- Lemon Juice: It is best to use fresh lemons and squeeze them. This lemon squeezer is perfect and easy to use.
- Butter: If you use salted butter just omit the salt ingredient from the list.
- Straining the lemon zest: This is more of a preference. If you prefer not to strain the lemon zest that is fine too. It is so thin and small it is hard to taste the texture.
How Do You Store Lemon Curd?
- Refrigerator: Lemon curd does have to be stored in the refrigerator when not being used. If you are using the lemon curd on other recipes, place that recipe in the refrigerator as well. Store in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days. Use cold or at room temperature.
- Can you freeze lemon curd? Yes! Store it for longer in the freezer up to 1 month. When ready to use, thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Perfect Lemon Curd
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.