This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Coconut Cream Key Lime Pie is a fresh, easy to make dessert with a smooth creamy filling and a buttery crunch in the crust. It is beautiful and makes a great sweet treat when entertaining because everyone LOVES it!
I am constantly craving key lime in the summer. If you know what I’m talking about try No Bake Key Lime Cheesecake or Macadamia Key Lime Pie for two other heavenly pies with that signature lime flavor!
Coconut Cream Key Lime Pie
Nothing says summer like a key lime pie. And key lime pies are one of my favorites. I always loved key lime pie, but really fell in love with it on our cruise to the Keys last year. As soon as I got home, I made these mini key lime pies. And then I made this awesome Macadamia Key Lime Pie. So it is no secret that I love key lime pie.
I knew I wanted to make this coconut key lime pie and immediately had to try it. Oh.my.gosh. The coconut whipped cream on top. Seriously the best part about the pie. So creamy and delicious on top of the key lime pie. The crust is also made of graham cracker and coconut. This pie is the perfect summer pie. The coconut and lime flavors compliment each other perfectly and I know you will love it too!
Coconut Cream Key Lime Pie Ingredients:
- Egg yolks: Makes the pie a light and fluffy taste.
- Key lime zest: grated into the mixture
- Sweetened condensed milk: Creates a light and creamy base
- Key lime juice: freshly squeezed
- Pure vanilla extract: Added flavoring
- Whole graham crackers: Create a soft and delicious crust.
- Sweetened coconut flakes: Blended into the crust.
- Light brown sugar: Sweetens the crust.
- Butter: melted
For the Coconut Whipped Cream:
- Whipping cream: very cold
- Coconut cream: I used Coco Lopez
- Confectioners’ sugar: Measure heaping
- Vanilla: Adds rich, deep flavor
- Sweetened coconut: lightly toasted, for garnish
How to Whip up a Sweet Pie:
To create this delicious dessert is so simple except for the hardest step…. Waiting while it cools and chills. Seriously, the smell of this pie baking is so amazing! It is so hard not to eat half of the filling while it is still hot and before the coconut whipped cream! But, that vanilla cream keeps me from doing it every time. I know that the finished product with the whipped cream on top will be so much more perfect!
- Prep: Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Whisk together filing: In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, grated lime zest, condensed milk, lime juice, and vanilla in a bowl until smooth and thickened. Set aside for about 20 minutes.
- Create crust: In a food processor, combine graham crackers, coconut flakes, and brown sugar and pulse until they are fine crumbs. Add the melted butter and press into the bottom and sides of a 9 inch glass pie plate. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Layer and bake: Add the thickened filling to the pie crust and bake for about another 15 minutes until the center is firm but jiggles slightly in the middle. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until chilled about 3 hours.
- Make the coconut whipped cream: Combine the whipped cream, coconut cream, confectioners sugar, and vanilla. Beat until it forms soft peaks. Spread on top of chilled pie and garnish with toasted coconut.
Tips and Variations:
The coconut version of this amazing key lime pie is SOO good! The texture is perfectly creamy and wonderful! Here are a few tips, techniques an variations I love to add to make this the best pie possible.
- Muffin Pans: Follow this recipe, but prepare in a muffin pan or an mini muffin pan for a different presentation.
- Decorate: Decorate the pie with a few crushed nuts (like pecans) or lime zest, peel, or slices.
- Sweetness: Adjust your sweet/tart ratio by adding less lime juice or zest.
Storing Key Lime Pie:
I recommend going ahead and making a few pies at once and freezing a couple. They make great shareable desserts to bring to a friend in need of a sweet surprise. They are also so convenient to have when unexpected dinner guests arrive. You will need to tightly wrap the pie in freezer grade bag or wrapping. Then store as follows:
- Refrigerator: 2-3 days
- Freezer: 1-2 months
More Key Lime Recipes:
- Key Lime Pie Bars
- Coconut Lime Butter Bars
- Key Lime Pie Poke Cake
- Coconut Cream Key Lime Pie
- Blueberry Lime No Bake Cheesecake Cups
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Coconut Cream Key Lime Pie
For the Pie:
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, grated lime zest, condensed milk, lime juice, and vanilla in a bowl until smooth and thickened. Set aside for about 20 minutes.
- Add the thickened filling to the pie crust and bake for about another 15 minutes until the center is firm but jiggles slightly in the middle. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until chilled about 3 hours.
To make the coconut whipped cream:
- Combine the whipped cream, coconut cream, confectioners sugar, and vanilla. Beat until it forms soft peaks. Spread on top of chilled pie and garnish with toasted coconut.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.