These key lime pie bars have a buttery graham cracker crust and a smooth and creamy lime filling that make for an irresistible treat!
I love key lime pie – that sweet-tart filling gets me every time! These key lime pie bars are a more portable version of the classic dessert that are just as delicious as the original. The crust for these bars is a simple mixture of graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter. The crust is baked to golden brown perfection and then topped with a layer of ultra creamy key lime pie filling.
Key limes are very small limes that are often sold in bags at the grocery store. You can also buy bottled key lime juice if you can’t find fresh key limes. And if all else fails, use regular old limes from the grocery store and you’ll still end up with an amazing end result.
These bars need to chill in the refrigerator for at least four hours before serving, so plan accordingly. I often make these bars a few days before I have company over, and that way they’re ready to go when my guests arrive!
I top these key lime pie bars with a rosette of whipped cream which I pipe onto the bars with an open star tip. You can pipe the whipped cream on, or simply add a dollop with a spoon. If you’re pressed for time, you can use whipped topping, and I have even been known to top these bars with a fluffy meringue for special occasions.
I typically store these bars in the refrigerator until I’m ready to serve them, especially on a hot day. If you’re planning to make this recipe a few days in advance. you can simply add the whipped cream topping right before you pan to serve the bars.
These bars have all the complex flavors of key lime pie, and make for a refreshing sweet finish to any meal!
Key Lime Pie Bars
For the crust:
- 1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- cooking spray
For the filling:
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 2/3 cup key lime juice regular lime juice can also be used
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- lime slices for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8"x8" pan with foil and coat the foil with cooking spray.
- Place the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter in a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Firmly press the graham cracker mixture into an even layer in the bottom of the pan.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the filling.
- Beat the egg yolks with a mixer until smooth and creamy, 2-3 minutes. Slowly pour in the condensed milk, continuing to beat the mixture. Add the lime juice, lime zest and sugar, then beat until completely smooth.
- Pour the filling over the crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until filling is just set.
- Cool the bars completely then refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 3 days.
- Prior to serving, cut the bars into 9 equal pieces and prepare the whipped cream topping.
- Place the heavy cream in a bowl and beat with a mixture until stiff peaks form. Fold in the sugar.
- Place the whipped cream inside a piping bag fitted with a large star tip and pipe rosettes of whipped cream onto the bars.
- Top with lime slices and serve.
Other Recipes You Might Like: