Snow, snow, and more snow here in Utah! And it has been quite gloomy and cloudy this past week. I really hate the cold! With this pregnancy I have had to be pregnant through the winter. Which I thought was going to be so much better than through the summer like I was with my other boys. All was pretty good until I slipped on some ice and totally crashed ruining my knee. It was pretty scary being pregnant but I survived. Now I think I will just stay inside until the snow melts and dream of somewhere warm and tropical. 🙂
With all of this snow and colds that are going around our house, all that sounds good to me is a delicious bowl of soup. This soup hit the spot perfectly. And let me tell you it is the BEST broccoli cheese soup that I have had! We put it in bread bowl and it was fantastic. This soup is so creamy and I loved the veggies inside. It was perfect for a cold snowy day and we will be making it again and again!
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- ½ medium chopped onion
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ lb fresh broccoli (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onion in 1 tablespoon melted butter and set aside. In a large pot whisk together the melted butter and flour over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the half and half and chicken stock. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, and onions. Let them simmer on medium low for about 25 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper and sharp cheddar cheese. Let the cheese melt and then serve. For a smoother soup puree it in a blender... but I love the chunks!
Recipe source Food.com
More must try soups!