Snow, snow, and more snow here in Utah! And it has been quite gloomy and cloudy this past week. I really hate the cold! With this pregnancy I have had to be pregnant through the winter. Which I thought was going to be so much better than through the summer like I was with my other boys. All was pretty good until I slipped on some ice and totally crashed ruining my knee. It was pretty scary being pregnant but I survived. Now I think I will just stay inside until the snow melts and dream of somewhere warm and tropical.
With all of this snow and colds that are going around our house, all that sounds good to me is a delicious bowl of soup. This soup hit the spot perfectly. And let me tell you it is the BEST broccoli cheese soup that I have had! We put it in bread bowl and it was fantastic. This soup is so creamy and I loved the veggies inside. It was perfect for a cold snowy day and we will be making it again and again!
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- ½ medium chopped onion
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ lb fresh broccoli (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onion in 1 tablespoon melted butter and set aside. In a large pot whisk together the melted butter and flour over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the half and half and chicken stock. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, and onions. Let them simmer on medium low for about 25 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper and sharp cheddar cheese. Let the cheese melt and then serve. For a smoother soup puree it in a blender… but I love the chunks!
Recipe source Food.com
More must try soups!