Twix Thumbprint Cookies

I have been baking up a storm. My kitchen usually looks like a tornado with both of my kitchenaids being used. It’s all worth it because I think that I have found my FAVORITE cookie to date! If you are a lover of Twix, then these cute little cookies were made just for you!

These cookies started as a salted caramel thumbprint. But when I had my first bite, they reminded me so much of a Twix Bar! The buttery shortbread base and a chewy caramel center. They were just missing one thing. Chocolate. I drizzled that chocolate on as fast as I could and viola! A Twix Thumbprint Cookie.

_MG_8605HOLY cow. I was eating all of the goodness of a Twix in each and every one of these cookies. And I am not going to admit the number of cookies consumed that day. But I had to get them out of the door and delivered to my neighbors as fast as I could! All of the delicious layers of a Twix bar are represented in these cookies and you are going to love them! The shortbread layer, to the caramel layer, and ending with the chocolate drizzle. There is no way that you can’t love these!

Twix Thumbprint Cookies
A delicious thumbprint cookie that tastes exactly like a Twix! A shortbread layer, a caramel filled center and chocolate drizzled on top!
Serves: 24
  • Shortbread Layer:
  • ⅔ cup Unsalted Butter, softened
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 2 Eggs (yolks only)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1½ cups all-purpose flour
  • Caramel Filling:
  • 14 soft caramel candies (like Kraft Caramels)
  • 3 T. heavy cream
  • Chocolate Drizzle:
  • 6 ounce milk chocolate chips
  1. To make the shortbread layer: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium sized bowl, combine ⅔ cup butter, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla in bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add flour; beat at low speed until well mixed. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or until firm.
  2. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Make indentation in center of each cookie with thumb or end of wooden spoon handle. Bake 7-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool completely.
  3. To make the caramel filling: Melt the caramel and heavy cream in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds until it is fully melted. Using a teaspoon fill each indentation with the caramel.
  4. To make the chocolate drizzle: Melt the chocolate in the microwave stirring 30 seconds at a time until smooth, and scoop into a ziplock bag. Barely snip the corner and drizzle over the cookies.

Chocolate Mallow Drops

Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Mustard Glazed Ham

1. I’m having a Christmas cooking baking party this week, and I always like to have a batch of cookies already made for everyone to munch on. I’m thinking these are the ones! LOVE Twix, and these look amazing!

2. Sign me up for a batch of these cookies! I love twix but since I stopped eating meat and dairy I’ve missed them dearly! I can totally make a vegan version of these cookies.

3. Do you think home made microwave caralels will work with the twix cookies?

4. Would these cookies freeze well? Thanks!!

5. Thank you! I made these today and they were yummy! I though they were pretty easy too.

6. i have tried these twice now. and both times the cookies flattened so much there was no indentation. I just drizzled the caramel and choc over them and they tasted great, but i am very disappointed they didn’t come out like the picture. I have made thousands of other thumbprints over the years and never had this problem. what did i do wrong?

• Leighanna says:

I am having this same issue 🙁

• Just wondering…. did you use margarine instead of butter? Was the butter softened too much? Was the dough chilled long enough? These things could cause a difference in how they hold up during baking.

• Try leaving out the egg. Traditional shortbread does not contain egg. Put egg in it – its no longer shortbread. Scottish shortbread (named so because of the ‘short’ texture from the high quantity of butter) is always 1 part sugar, 2 parts butter, and 3 parts flour (in weight).

7. These look delicious! Do you think it would work to make the cookies without the caramel and as soo as they come out of the oven put a Rolo candy in the middle…similar to peanut butter blossoms?

• These are delicious! Easy recipe, great shortbread flavor. I needed to increase baking time to about 12 minutes. I also used the shortbread recipe with a jam filling. Filled the indentations with jam before baking. These were very good, too!

• Hi there. Did you ever try your idea? It sounds awesome…

8. how do I get the chocolate melted enough to drizzle?!

9. If I was to make caramel do u know what temp on candy thermometer would work for these?

10. Bryony Leonard says:

hi, can I check (I’m in the UK) that heavy cream is equivalent to our double cream and that T stands for tablespoons? I’ve got to make these for the girls at work as they will love them! Thanks!

11. Hi, these sound delicious. I’m from England and am not sure of some of your ingredients. Can you tell me what all purpose flour is please? we only have plain or self raising flour. Also, what is 3 T heavy cream and we dont have kraft caramels, are they hard or soft (so i can find something similar).

• Jessica Smith says:

Kraft caramels are soft. 3 teaspoons=42.61963mL Plain flower

• Deevary says:

I dont know if all purpose is the same as plain but it may be. 3 T is 3 tablespoons and the caramels are soft.

• Yes, all purpose flour is the same as plain flour. And for the caramels use what you would use in millionaires shortbread recipe. This recipe is more or less the same just done in thumbprint cookies.

12. These are magical. I melted two Hershey’s bars in place of the chocolate chips and it was the perfect amount of chocolate. I think I’ll make them again this weekend! (I gave must of them away to teachers today.)

13. I love the recipe it sounds good and the dough taste good just they keep flattening 🙁 this is the third time I’ve had this problem and I’ve followed the recipe exactly. What am I doing wrong??

• Flattening dough? Was your butter too melted? That’s my guess. Try to chill the dough for 30-60 minutes before baking next time. Bet that’ll fix it.

14. These were just plain fun to make and turned out even more beautiful than the pictures! Now, I didn’t have caramels, but I did have a jar of caramel ice cream topping! I heated that up, added some milk and cornstarch so it would thicken and they turned out just perfectly. So beautiful. And for those wondering about the chocolate, I just put 8 ounces of chocolate chips in a bowl and microwaved it for 30-45 seconds then put the melted chocolate in a ziplock Baggie, snipped the corner and made a Z over every cookie. Just beautiful and so fun to make

15. Hi! These cookies look absolutely delicious! I was looking at the recipe and there is a blank space where the amount of unsalted butter is. Is it one cup of butter or a half of cup of butter? Would you please let me know so that I can make these cookies. My family is hanging over my shoulder drooling! Thank you so much! 😀

16. Curious as to whether the caramel sets up or does it stay melty even once the cookies are cooled?

17. I was so excited to try this recipe but I have to say that sadly they spread and got so flat while baking 🙁 I made sure to chill 1 hour and then shaped into thumbprint and chilled again for 30 min before baking. Any other ideas why would this be happening?? Was there supposed to be some leavening in the recipe? Thanks!

18. I also am a lover of Twix! I want to make these, but have a block of caramel I want to use in place of caramel candies. Any idea what the weight would be? I’m guessing 3-4 ounces.

19. Yum! These turned out great! My only problem is that the caramel never really reset, so it was difficult to stack and transport the cookies. Refrigerating the cookies seemed to work for a bit. Thanks for the recipe!

20. Mackenzie says:

My son is allergic to eggs. I’d love to make these so he could eat them too. I usually bake with en egg replacement but I’m not sure if that would work since it’s only the yolks being used in this recipe. Do you know of a way I could substitute the egg yolks?

21. I made these since a cookie place in my hometown makes these. So excited I found her recipe. These are to die for and taste amazing. Thanks for posting my favorite cookie.

22. Made 2 batches this weekend. They are so good and easy to make. I’m sure they will be a hit at Thanksgiving.

23. The type of butter you use makes a difference in the taste. What kind of butter did you use Land o Lakes, Challenge, Kerrygold etc?

24. Perfection! Thank you

25. How do you store these cookies? Can they be frozen?

26. Do u think the caramel from the plastic container to use for caramel apples will work?

27. as soon as I noticed they were flattening, i took them out of the oven and quickly pushed down again with a tablespoon. I popped them back in the oven to finish baking. it worked!

28. ??? Totally time 25 minutes??? But they have to sit in the fridge for an hour??? Mmmmm I think your math is wrong

29. Yosra bouslimani says:

I refrigerate the dough overnight plz let me know asap?!!

30. Made these cookies and they turned out great, the key is to really make sure the indent is deep so that when it bakes it doesn’t just create a little valley but a “bowl” for the caramel! Can’t wait to bring these to work just hoping the chocolate and caramel will harden a bit

31. I just wanted to note that you gave us instructions of turning the oven on to 350′ but then we’re to put the dough in the fridge for an hour. I chilled for a hour then preheated while rolling he cookies.