A delicious shortbread crust, caramel center and a chocolate layer on top. These taste exactly like a Twix bar and you can make them right at home!
I have had these Twix Bars on my list of things to make ever since I started the blog. I love twix, my kids are obsessed with Twix, so why haven’t I made them until now?
Twix Bars have always been a favorite of mine. But my boys are obsessed! Can you imagine how excited they were when I told them I was making a big batch? They didn’t take long to make and the chilling in the fridge between the layers definitely sped up the process. I also melted the caramel and chocolate in the microwave and they were done in no time at all.
These tasted exactly like a Twix Bar. A shortbread layer, a caramel layer and topped with chocolate. We all loved them and I know that if you love Twix as much as we do, you will be in heaven!
Recipe Slightly adapted from King Authur Flour
Homemade Twix Bars
- 1 cup salted butter 2 sticks, at room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups caramel cut into small chunks (about 14 oz)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 cups milk chocolate chopped, melted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening optional
To make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium sized bowl, beat together butter, sugar, and vanilla. Add the flour. Beat at medium speed until mixture comes together. Press the dough into the bottom of the pan. Lightly flour your fingers to prevent sticking.
- Prick the crust with a fork and and bake for 35-40 minutes or until edges and top are lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and let it cool completely.
To make the caramel layer:
- Melt the caramel and cream over low heat in small saucepan. Pour the caramel over the cooled crust. Pop into the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
To make the chocolate layer:
- Melt the chocolate and shortening (if using) in a small saucepan over low heat. Pour over the caramel layer and chill until set.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
- *To speed up the process I melted caramel and chocolate in microwave. Stir in 30 second increments until smooth and creamy to avoid burning.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.