These scalloped potatoes are tender, creamy and so delicious! The parmesan cheese adds such amazing flavor and these are a must make side dish!
I love that daylight savings has come and spring is right around the corner! The sun is out longer and it is starting to warm up. Well. It was starting to warm up. And then it snowed. But that is a Utah spring for you. It shows us a little sun and warmth so that we don’t lose our minds and then it snows. Luckily the sun is back out and it is supposed to warm up again and we are going to take full advantage of it!
With spring comes Easter and we always look forward to Easter dinner. We love scalloped potatoes at our house and my son requests them every week! I usually make creamy cheddar scalloped potatoes but I decided to change it up a little. These Creamy Parmesan Scalloped Potatoes became an instant favorite!
They are SO creamy and delicious. And you are going to love the parmesan cheese inside. They baked to tender potato perfection and the top got this delicious crisp parmesan crust. That was my favorite part! Then you dig in to the creamy, delicious and cheesy layers.
Whether you are making these for Easter dinner or any family dinner, you are going to LOVE these as much as we did!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cup whipping cream (can also use half and half)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced about ⅛ inch thick
- Snipped fresh chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside. In a small saucepan melt 2 Tablespoons butter over medium heat and which in the flour, salt and pepper. Add the whipping cream and stir for about 2 minutes until it starts to thicken. Add ¼ cup parmesan cheese.
- Arrange half of the potatoes in the prepared casserole dish overlapping each other. Spread half of the sauce on top followed by ½ cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat with another layer of potatoes and sauce topped with mozzarella cheese and remaining parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for 25-30 minutes more until the potatoes are fork tender and the top is starting to brown. Sprinkle with chives before serving.