Caramel Apple Skillet Cake is light and fluffy and topped with a homemade caramel apple glaze. Perfect for Fall baking!
Hey y’all! It’s Serene from houseofyumm.com. I’m so excited to be sharing recipes with you here on The Recipe Critic! And look forward to ‘meeting’ all of you! Just a little about me? I’m a California girl turned Texan, and I love everything about Texas! Especially the food. Which means I try to bring a little Texas charm to most of my recipes.
One of my favorite things? My cast iron skillet. Which is why I have this Caramel Apple Skillet Cake to share with you today.
This caramel apple skillet cake is easy to make, and is bursting with fall flavors! The cake itself is made using brown sugar and sour cream, meaning it’s moist. And it’s loaded with cinnamon and apple. Making it perfect for the upcoming fall season!
To really take things over the top we have a caramel apple glaze to pour over the top. Which you can use either store bought caramel ice cream topping, or you can make your own Homemade Caramel Sauce. I love adding extra chunks of apple to the glaze, but you can leave them out if you prefer.
Top this with some vanilla ice cream and it’s a perfect fall dessert! If you make double the amount of glaze in the recipe then you will have extra you can drizzle over the ice cream too. Just in case you need a little more caramel apple flavor.
Caramel Apple Skillet Cake
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 1 and 1/2 cup peeled and chopped tart apples approx 1 large apple
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon caramel
- 1/4 cup peeled and chopped tart apple
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large mixing bowl beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugars and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and mix until combined. Stir in the vanilla and sour cream.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon, whisk together.
- Slowly add half of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Mix gently until just combined. Pour in the milk, mixing slowly. Add the remaining flour mixture and mix gently to combine.
- Fold in the chopped apple.
- Spray the cast iron skillet with non stick baking spray, and pour in the batter.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until top is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Add the butter and milk to a small bowl, heat in microwave until the butter is melted.
Stir in the powdered sugar, vanilla, and caramel until smooth (if you have bits of powdered sugar in the topping run through a fine mesh sieve if needed) Stir in the chopped apple.
- Once the cake is cooled carefully run a knife along the edge and turn over to remove the cake.
- Pour the caramel apple topping over the top of the cooled cake prior to serving.
More Desserts from House of Yumm: