Caramel Apple Slab Pie has a thin and flaky melt in your mouth crust topped with juicy apples and a crisp topping. It is drizzled in homemade caramel and perfect for feeding a crowd!
Caramel Apple Upside Cake is a twist on my tried and true favorite Pineapple Upside Down Cake and it is a must try recipe. It is loaded with all the crave-worthy fall flavors like rich caramel and sweet apple!
Caramel Apple Slab Pie
It was hot today. Like 90 degrees hot. So, I have been really starting to look forward to cooler temperatures and the crisp fall air. My cozy fall sweaters are just waiting in my closet to make their big debut. Oh well, in the meantime I will just keep whipping up all my favorite fall desserts. This Caramel Apple Slab Pie is one of the best versions of an apple pie. The smell of cinnamon and apples baking together is just amazing. Then, it gets even better when it’s time to simmer the ooey gooey caramel mixture on the stovetop and drizzle it over the pie. Every bite is heavenly with the flaky crust, crunchy topping and soft juicy apples all drenched in rich, sweet cinnamon-apple flavor. Delish!
This Caramel Apple Slab pie might just be one of my favorite desserts everrrrrrrrr. The great thing about this slab pie is that it can feed a small army. So it is perfect for upcoming family gatherings and get togethers. Everything about this slab pie is amazing and you and your small army will love it as much as we did. 🙂
What’s In Caramel Apple Slab Pie?
This dessert is just screaming all of my favorite things about fall. From the thin and flaky melt in your mouth pie crust, the fresh juicy apples, and the crisp topping, to the sweet caramel drizzle on top. All of the best tastes of fall are rolled up into one amazing dessert!
- All-purpose flour: Adds strength and structure to the crust.
- Salt: Just a pinch.
- Shortening: Butter-flavored shortening will create a more tender, flaky dough.
- Cold water: Add in a few drops at a time until your dough is the perfect texture.
- Sugar: Every good dessert has it!
- Ground cinnamon: Adds a sweet and savory warm spice to the apple mixture.
- Granny smith apples: These apples are perfect for baking, and need to be peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (10 cups).
- Rolled oats: Quick-cooking oats give the perfect crunch in the topping.
- Brown sugar: Measure it packed to get just the right amount of sweetness.
- All-purpose flour: Gives structure to the crumb topping and binds it together.
- Butter: Use unsalted for more control over saltiness of the dessert.
- Brown Sugar: Rich molasses sweetness!
- Butter: Rich taste and makes a chewy caramel texture.
- Half-and-half: Makes the caramel smooth and creamy.
- Vanilla: Brings out the other flavors and adds a rich depth to the flavor.
- Salt: Just a pinch!
How to Make Caramel Apple Slab Pie from Scratch:
This dessert comes together simply and will get rave reviews every time! Take your time on the dough and work through each section and in no time you will have a huge hit dessert ready to enjoy!
- Prep: Start by spraying a 15x10x1 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. Then, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Make dough: In a large bowl combine flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the shortening until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the cold water over the mixture and toss with a fork. Repeat using 1 tablespoon of water at a time until it is moistened and knead the dough into a ball.
- Place dough in baking pan: On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 19×13-inch rectangle. Wrap it around the rolling pin and unroll it into the prepared baking pan. Ease dough into the pan and up the sides, being careful not to stretch it. Trim dough to ½ inch beyond edge of pan. Fold dough edge over and flute as desired.
- Combine apple mixture: In an extra-large bowl combine the sugar, ⅓ cup flour, cinnamon and apples. Toss until coated. Spoon the mixture on the dough and spread evenly.
To Make the Crumb Topping:
- Combine Ingredients: In a large bowl, stir together quick-cooking rolled oats, packed brown sugar, and all-purpose flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until topping mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle on top of apples.
- Bake: Place in a preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until apples are tender. If it is starting to brown to fast, cover the top with foil the last 5-10 minutes. Cool slightly.
To Make the Homemade Caramel:
- Mix all ingredients: In a medium saucepan over medium-low to medium heat, mix ingredients together. Continue to cook while whisking gently for 5 to 7 minutes, until thicker. Then, turn off heat. Serve warm or refrigerate until cold. Finally, drizzle on top of apple slab pie.
Caramel Apple Slab Pie Quick Tips:
When I made this I intended to just make an Apple Slab Pie. But as soon as it came out of the oven, it was begging me to drizzle some homemade caramel on top. I was glad that I did because it added such a delicious finishing touch!
- Caramel Sauce: For best results cook the glaze slowly until it thickens to prevent separating. Additionally, whisking constantly will keep it from clumping.
- Dough: Keep the dough cold and don’t over handle. Because the dough is cooler, it will be firmer, easier to roll out, and will shrink less as it cooks in the oven.
- Rolling the dough: Add more flour to the dough as you are rolling it out to keep it from sticking to the rolling pin or the surface.
- Leftover dough: Bake any leftover trimmings separately, then drizzle with caramel or sprinkle them with a bit of cinnamon sugar for a special treat.
- Apples: Try to cut the apples into similar sizes for the most even baking. Using an apple slicer is helpful, but it is not hard to do by hand if you don’t have a tool to help.
- Serve: Be sure to finish this delicious dessert with a topping of cold vanilla ice cream!
Storing Caramel Apple Slab Pie:
It is highly unlikely this dessert will last long without being devoured. It is SOOO GOOD that no one can get enough of it! However, if you do end up with leftovers this slab pie will store well. Simply keep it in the baking pan, let it cool completely and cover it loosely. Then, store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. If you are making an apple pie ahead, you can freeze it for 3-4 months and thaw in the refrigerator before baking.
Pro Tip: Keep a batch of uncooked crumble topping in the freezer to bake and sprinkle on anything. It makes a great last minute dessert topping that is absolutely heavenly!
More Caramel Apple Recipes:
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls
- Salted Caramel Apple Butter Bars
- Caramel Toffee Apple Cake
- Dutch Caramel Apple Pie Bars
- Caramel Apple French Toast Casserole
Caramel Apple Slab Pie
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening butter-flavored
- 8 tablespoons cold water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 1/2 pounds granny smith apples peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (10 cups)
- 1 cup rolled oats quick-cooking
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup Half-and-half
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
- Pinch Salt
- Spray a 15x10x1 inch pan with non stick cooking spray and set aside. To make the dough, In a large bowl combine flour and salt. Using a pastry blender cut in the shortening until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the cold water over the mixture and toss with a fork. Repeat using 1 tablespoon of water at a time until it is moistened and knead the dough into a ball.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 19x13-inch rectangle. Wrap it around the rolling pin and unroll it into the prepared baking pan. Ease dough into the pan and up the sides, being careful not to stretch it. Trim dough to ½ inch beyond edge of pan. Fold dough edge over and flute as desired.
- In an extra large bowl combine the sugar, ⅓ cup flour, cinnamon and apples. Toss until coated. Spoon the mixture on the dough and spread evenly.
To make the crumb topping:
- In a large bowl, stir together quick-cooking rolled oats, packed brown sugar, and all-purpose flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until topping mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle on top of apples.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until apples are tender. If it is starting to brown to fast, cover the top with foil the last 5-10 minutes. Cool slightly.
To make the homemade caramel:
- Mix all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-low to medium heat. Cook while whisking gently for 5 to 7 minutes, until thicker. Turn off heat. Serve warm or refrigerate until cold. Drizzle on top of apple slab pie.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Made this for our Healing School Ministers meeting and everyone loved it!!! I did use boxed refrigerator pie crusts, stacked one on top of the other then rolled it out to fit the pan. Also used Pumpkin Pie Spice in addition to cinnamon. I used the amount of apples you called for but maybe it’s my 1/2 sheet pan size, needed probably two more apples. Also after making the crumb top and sprinkling it on I didn’t have enough so made a second batch. It was definately a hit! Thanks for sharing this fabulous recipe!!
I make something the family loves it I hope this is what it’s supposed to look like
i make it every thanksgiving great for a big family great recipe
I made this for our church fellowship last night. It was a HIT! Everyone loved it!
could you use a pizza crust?
That is a great idea. It may be a bit puffier and thicker but can work well with this apple slab pie.