Homemade Chicken Gyro with Tzatziki is light and fresh and packed with bold Greek flavors. This gyro is perfect for a delicious lunch, or a healthy dinner that everyone will go crazy over!
For an amazing slow cooker version of this gyro try Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Gyro with Tzatziki. It is an easy to make chicken gyro recipe that only takes a few minutes to throw into the slow cooker!
Chicken Gyro with Tzatziki
Homemade Gyros are light and delicious and packed with amazing greek flavor! Marinated chicken is sliced and layered with fresh fruits, crumbled cheese, and made from scratch tzatziki sauce. The layers of flavor in the filling are so good together you will be obsessed with them! Wrap everything up in a pita for a soft bite you will crave more of all day.
This recipe is so easy to follow and makes a gyro that is better than anything you could buy. The marinated chicken is tender and juicy and the tzatziki sauce has the perfect tanginess. All the Mediterranean flavors come alive without being too heavy. Chicken gyros will be a huge hit every time you make them!
What is a Chicken Gyro Made of?
Fresh, healthy ingredients come together perfectly for a great taste of the Mediterranean in this Chicken Gyro. The flavorful tzatziki sauce is drizzled throughout the combination of cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, and marinated chicken. This gyro is better than any you have ever had before!
- Chicken breasts: Marinate at least 30 minutes, then slice.
- Chicken Marinade: To tenderize the chicken and create juicy flavorful meat.
- Pita Flat-breads: Soft and fluffy bread to hold everything together
- Cucumber: Peel and slice then dry completely before adding them in.
- Cherry tomatoes: Diced pieces of these sweet and juicy tomatoes are the perfect snappy bite.
- Red onion: Add in sweet onion flavor.
- Crumbled feta cheese: This salty and tangy cheese creates creamy pockets of bold flavor.
- Tzatziki sauce: Yogurt based sauce bursting with light and refreshing cucumber, dill, and garlic flavors.
How to Make Chicken Gyro with Tzatziki Sauce:
This chicken gyro recipe makes a filling meal that your whole family will love, and it all comes together so fast! Marinate the chicken first for about 30 minutes, then grill and slice. Load all the toppings you love into the pita and you have an incredible and healthy meal everyone will devour!
- To make the chicken: Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium-high. Now, cook chicken on each side for 5-7 minutes or until no longer pink. Now, slice the chicken into strips.
- To assemble the gyros: Place a pita flatbread on the bottom. Next, add the chicken, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and feta. To finish it off, drizzle tzatziki sauce on top.
Can I Make Gyros Ahead of Time?
Yes! To get a head start on these Chicken Gyros, you can prep ingredients ahead of time, but store them separately until you are ready to serve them. Putting them together at the last minute will keep everything crispy and vibrant.
- Tzatziki sauce: Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Marinated chicken: Marinated chicken will last in the refrigerator for 3-5 days or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Variations of Homemade Chicken Gyros:
These Chicken Gyros are perfect for entertaining because you can prepare everything ahead of time and set it out for each person to prepare their gyro just how they like them. Also try these additional ideas your guests may enjoy.
- Wrap: For a pita replacement, try Naan bread, a whole wheat pita, or flatbread.
- Pita: Warm up the pita in the microwave or toaster oven before serving.
- Serve with: To keep this a light fresh meal serve a Greek salad on the side.
- Extra toppings: Bell peppers, avocado, olives all make great additions to this gyro.
More Greek Recipes:
- Greek Chicken Sliders
- Easy Greek Lemon Chicken
- Greek Salad with the Best Dressing
- Greek Broccoli Pasta Salad
- Slow Cooker Greek Lamb Shanks
Homemade Chicken Gyro with Tzatziki
To Make the Chicken:
- Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes. Preheat grill to medium high. Grill on each side for 5-7 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Slice the chicken into strips.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.