Chicken Tortilla Soup is a hearty Mexican soup that really warms the soul. Topped with fried tortilla chips, its packed with flavour and will be a great addition to your dinner rotation!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
I love everything Mexican! As soon as the weather turns slightly chilly, one of the first things we make is a big pot of this chicken tortilla soup. Its packed with flavour and loaded with goodies like chicken, corn, black beans, jalapenos and a spicy tomato base.
I really love using chicken thighs in this soup instead of breasts. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs cook pretty fast and they don’t overcook quickly like breasts. Chicken breasts can sometimes become stringy and rubbery when the soup is reheated so I prefer the juiciness of chicken thighs in this soup.
I either dice them before adding them to this chicken tortilla soup or shred them when the soup is cooked.
Another timesaver tip is to use shredded rotisserie chicken. Any leftovers can be mixed into the soup for a fast and easy variation.
Crispy Tortilla Chips
What makes this soup extra special are the crispy tortilla chips that are used to top this soup. They add such an amazing crunch and texture.
You can either cut tortillas into strips of triangles like I have and then deep fry them.
Make a big batch because they stay fresh in an air tight container for a few days and you can just snack on them on the go. Dangerous, but so yum!
Toppings for Chicken Tortilla Soup
Top this soup generously because each topping adds more flavour. I love laying out some lime, cilantro, tortilla chips, sour cream and jalapenos and then each person can choose what they want to top it with.
Seriously, there is no better way to beat the chill than this chicken tortilla soup. Its fresh, healthy, hearty and has so much flavour. There is a nice hit of heat that can be toned down if you like but I highly recommend keeping it as is.
More Mexican Inspired Recipes
- Mexican Corn Fritters
- Mexican Pasta Salad
- One Pot Mexican Rice and Sausages
- Chicken Fajita Quesadillas
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced Garlic
- 2 Jalapenos deseeded and chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1 14 ounce can fire roasted crushed Tomatoes
- 4 skinless and boneless Chicken Thighs diced into bite sized pieces
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Corn Kernels
- 1 14 ounce can Black Beans drained
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Tortilla Chips, Cilantro, Lime Juice, Sour Cream for topping
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven and add onions, garlic and jalapeno. Saute till the onions are soft.
- Add all the other ingredients except black beans to the pot and stir to mix. Bring this to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the black beans and simmer for 3 more minutes. Serve hot topped with tortilla chips and your favourite toppings.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.