Hi Recipe Critic Readers – How’s it going? It’s Jenn, from Eat Cake For Dinner, here to share the perfect side dish recipe with you, just in time for your Memorial Day BBQ. I don’t know about you, but side dishes are one of the hardest dishes for me to make. I would much rather be in charge of the rolls or dessert than a side dish.
BUT . . . since pasta salads are a classic Summer side dish and frequently requested, it is good to have a few different recipes on hand. My Mom’s Macaroni Salad will always be my favorite, but this Mexican version was pretty darn good too. Plus, I usually have these ingredients on hand, except for the tomatoes, but with Summer coming up, I will have plenty of fresh tomatoes in my garden. The dressing is a creamy salsa dressing and makes this salad so flavorful. Make sure and use a jarred salsa that you really like, since that is where a lot of the flavor will come from. I used salad macaroni (aka salad roni or ditalini), because that is what my mom always uses, but you can use another type of pasta if you prefer.
I pretty much think Feta cheese is the best thing ever. I put that stuff on everything. I love, love, love it on Mexican food. It adds so much flavor and I loved it in this pasta salad. You can either stir some into the salad or just use it as a garnish on top. Or, you can leave it out completely if you aren’t a fan.
adapted from: The Pioneer Woman
You might also like these other delicious recipes from: Eat Cake For Dinner
Stay Connected with Eat Cake For Dinner
Mexican Pasta Salad
A delicious Mexican Pasta Salad covered in a creamy salsa dressing.
- 1 package salad macaroni 16 oz.
- 1 can black beans 15 oz., drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn 15.25 oz., drained
- 3 Roma tomatoes diced
- 3 whole green onions finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled Feta cheese opt., crumbled
- 1 c. jarred salsa
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1/4 c. Mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic minced or pressed
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 lime juiced
- Cook salad macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Rinsing with cold water will help prevent it from sticking together. Set aside and allow to cool and dry completely. When dry, add the beans, corn, tomatoes, green onions, onion and cilantro. In a separate bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and add to pasta mixture.
- Stir together until everything is evenly coated in sauce. You can either stir the Feta cheese into the salad or use it as a garnish on top. Taste and adjust any ingredients as needed. Refrigerate until ready to use. This is best served on the day it is made. Serves 8-12 people.