This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Chocolate banana bread is a sweet and decadent banana bread made for chocolate lovers! Extra moist from the ripe bananas, and loaded with rich chocolate flavors from the cocoa powder and chocolate chips.
Everyone loves banana bread! And it’s even better when you add chocolate to it! This chocolate banana bread is so incredible. I have so many different variations of banana bread on the blog. Banana pairs well with many other flavors. If you want to try some other banana bread recipes, then start with this classic banana bread, this strawberry banana bread, or this blueberry banana bread! I promise you’ll love them all!
Chocolate Banana Bread
Banana bread is already amazing, so why not add chocolate flavors and make chocolate banana bread? Bananas and chocolate are the perfect combination. The addition of cocoa powder and chocolate chips adds richness to the sweet banana flavor. Once you try this chocolate banana bread, your life will be changed forever! The melty chocolate chips are my favorite part because you get a burst of chocolate in every bite.
If you love chocolate, you’re going to LOVE this recipe! My kids love both banana bread and chocolate, so this is the perfect treat. And if you’re looking for more delicious chocolate recipes on the blog, you should try my brownies! Chocolate is also a gateway to many incredible flavor combinations. Like these homemade chocolate peanut butter cups or this moist chocolate zucchini cake. You have to try them all!
Ingredients Needed to Make It
The list of ingredients to make chocolate chip banana bread is pretty simple. Gather them all up and keep them on hand because you’re going to want to make this again! I always make banana bread when I have ripened bananas to use. My kids love it when I have this as an after-school snack. It’s the best treat to come home to. See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Bananas: RIPE is always best!
- Baking Soda: Baking soda is used to make the bread light and not chewy or dense.
- Vegetable Oil: I prefer using oil in sweet bread and muffins because it makes the bread so moist.
- Granulated Sugar: The sugar is what makes the bread have a sweet taste.
- Eggs: The eggs bind the batter together.
- Salt: This balances and enhances the flavors in the banana bread.
- All-Purpose Flour: I used all-purpose flour for this bread.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: This gives the bread that rich chocolate flavor!
- Milk Chocolate Chips: Sweet milk chocolate chips are my favorite. It helps balance out the dark chocolate flavors of the bread.
How to Make Chocolate Banana Bread
This chocolate banana bread only takes 10 minutes to whip up, and the rest of the time just requires some patience while it bakes. I love to make banana bread whenever I have ripe bananas ready to go. This recipe is so easy to make and everyone loves it! It’s perfect for breakfast, snacking, and could even be a dessert! See the recipe card below for my step-by-step instructions.
- Preheat Oven and Prepare the Pan: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 9×5 loaf pan with pan spray.
- Mash the Bananas: Add the bananas to a large bowl and use a fork to mash them very well.
- Add in the Oil, Eggs, and Dry Ingredients: Add the baking soda, oil, sugar, eggs, salt, flour, and cocoa powder to the bananas. Mix with a spatula or wooden spoon until combined.
- Fold in the Chocolate Chips: Fold in the chocolate chips and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake: Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the bread. Allow it to cool completely before slicing.
Tips and Variations
I love this chocolate banana bread so much. Here are lots of tips and ideas for switching it up. I also have a tip for quickly ripening your bananas if you’re too impatient to wait a couple of days like me! It’s such a fun and delicious twist on banana bread. You’re going to want to make a loaf very soon!
- Butter: Unsalted butter will also work for this. Melt it and add it in place of the oil.
- Sugar: If you love a little more sweetness, substitute white sugar for brown sugar. For a healthier option try coconut sugar or monk fruit sweetener.
- Frozen Bananas: Use frozen bananas by thawing them overnight at room temperature. If there is any liquid from the bananas, simply discard that before mashing.
- Ripen bananas quickly: If you have a couple of days, place the bananas in a brown paper bag and close it. This traps the ethylene from the bananas and helps them ripen faster. In a pinch, you can bake the bananas in a 300-degree Fahrenheit oven for 25-30 minutes. Bake until the peel turns black.
- Chocolate Chips: Swap out the milk chocolate chips for your favorite. Semi-sweet or white chocolate chips would be delicious!
- Nuts or Seeds: Instead of chocolate chips, replace some of them with the chopped nut of your choice. Walnuts or pecans are my top picks!
- Toppings: Make a quick glaze made of powdered sugar and milk for the top. Or melt some chocolate chips for a chocolate drizzle. For a dessert option, cream cheese frosting spread on a slice would be so decadent.
Storing Leftover Bread
This chocolate banana bread is the bread that keeps on giving. It stores so well! Remember to make an extra loaf of this to freeze for later! You will be so glad that you did!
- At Room Temperature: This is an easy way of storing the bread that will be enjoyed quickly. Place the cooled bread in a ziplock bag or airtight container. Then store it in the pantry or counter at room temperature. Always keep the bread wrapped or stored when not eating. This will lock in the flavor and keep it moist.
- In the Freezer: Allow the bread to cool completely. Then wrap the entire loaf tightly using plastic wrap or aluminum foil. I recommend going around about 2 to 3 times. Place the wrapped bread in a large freezer ziplock bag and lay it in the freezer. When ready to enjoy, thaw in the refrigerator or at room temperature. Slice and enjoy!
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Chocolate Banana Bread
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and spray a 9×5 loaf pan with pan spray.
- Add the bananas to a large bowl and use a fork to mash them very well.
- Add the baking soda, oil, sugar, eggs, salt, flour, and cocoa powder to the bananas and mix with a spatula or wooden spoon until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the bread. Allow it to cool completely before slicing.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.