Chocolate Lava Cake is the ultimate holiday dessert. It’s a showstopper with its oozing chocolate center when you take a bite. Tastes delicious served with ice cream and fruits!
Chocolate Lava Cake
Hey there fellow chocolate lover! If there was a dessert that celebrated chocolate in all its glory, its this one. I’m talking about a nice crust on the outside and as you cut into it, there’s flowing melty chocolate that oozes out. This is rich, gooey, soft centered dark chocolate that’s the perfect consistency.
Legend has it that there was once a chef who wanted to make mini chocolate cakes. When he was ready to serve them, he realised that they were underbaked in the center. He ended up serving them anyway and the dessert came to be called chocolate lava cake. The guests obviously enjoyed it!
This is a great dessert, especially for the holidays because it can be made ahead. Yes, you can make the batter and refrigerate it for a few hours. When you are ready to serve, just bake it in the oven for 15-18 minutes and you are ready to go. These taste fantastic warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top which melts a bit as you bite into these lava cakes.
Ingredients for Chocolate Lava Cake
The list of ingredients for chocolate lava cake is simple. You need:
- Dark Chocolate
- Cocoa Powder
- Vanilla Extract
Since the taste of chocolate is intense, I recommend good quality dark chocolate if you like the taste. Or you can use milk chocolate as well.
These chocolate lava cakes are baked in a pre-heated oven at a higher temperature than what you’d normally use for cakes. And that’s because you want a crust formed on the outside, and the centre to still remain soft and gooey. So that when you cut into it, the centre oozes out.
More Desserts Recipes
Chocolate Lava Cake
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3.5 ounces dark or milk chocolate
- 5 tablespoons butter + extra for brushing
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Butter the insides of four ramekins well, and dust with flour. Set aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate in the microwave and set aside to cool.
- Whisk together egg yolks, eggs and sugar till light and creamy.
- Add the chocolate mixture and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Sift cocoa powder and flour in the mixture and stir to combine
- Divide the mixture into the four ramekins and refrigerate for 30 minutes and up to two hours.
- When ready to bake, pre heat the oven to 425F.
- Place the ramekins in a casserole dish. Pour hot water into the dish, such that it comes halfway up the ramekins. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Once baked, let them cool for 10 minutes before inverting the ramekins on a serving plate to serve.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.