This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
This Creamy Pumpkin Soup is packed with pumpkin flavor, a touch of sweetness, and velvety smooth. It’s the perfect cozy fall soup, and it only takes 30 minutes to throw together!
Comforting soups like Creamy Pumpkin Soup are the perfect meals this year, so be sure to check out this warm-you-from-the-inside-out Mexican Corn Chowder, this cozy Creamy Zuppa Toscana Soup, this Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup and this Hearty Crockpot Taco Soup.
Creamy Pumpkin Soup
While I love a hearty soup packed with meat, veggies, and whatever else every once in a while, what I really want ninety-nine percent of the time is a smooth, creamy soup that will warm me from the inside out.
Pumpkin soup is the PERFECT fall soup, because, well pumpkin, duh. But also because it also has this underlying cozy warmth to it from ground cinnamon and just a touch of nutmeg.
The beauty of pumpkin soup, is it’s really only a few ingredients, and takes just under 30 minutes to prepare, so you can serve it any day of the week. Even my picky kiddos loved the sweet and savory combo of this soup, and of course, I couldn’t get enough it.
Ingredients in Pumpkin Soup
- Carrots. I know this seems like kind of a weird ingredient in pumpkin soup, but trust me. Carrots add even more subtle sweetness to the soup, but also a savory element at the same time. I also love that it adds a little bit extra dose of vegetables.
- Onion and Garlic. The base to every good soup.
- Pumpkin Puree. Canned pumpkin puree is fine here. If you have sugar pumpkins or homemade pumpkin puree on hand, go ahead and use that.
- Chicken Stock. Always buy low-sodium chicken stock so you can control the amount of salt that goes into the dish.
- Spices. Ground cinnamon, a touch of ground cloves, salt, black pepper, and a little bit of brown sugar. These spices together create the perfect sweet and savory combination that I just adore.
- Half and half. You could swap out heavy cream if you have that on hand.
How to make pumpkin soup
- Sauté the veggies. Start by sweating the veggies in a little bit of butter. Add a little bit of salt to season. Once they’re slightly softened and fragrant, they’re done.
- Add in pumpkin puree, chicken stock, and spices. Whisk in pumpkin puree, chicken stock, cinnamon, cloves, salt, and brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and then let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes. The soup will turn from a bright orange to a more muted orange color, this is good! The pumpkin is cooking.
- Blend the soup. You can do this one of two ways. First, you can use a hand immersion blender, which is what I did. Two, you can transfer everything to the blender and blend until smooth. Blending in the blender will give you a smoother soup, but it’s a lot more work.
- Transfer the soup back to the pot and season with salt and pepper.
- Add in cream. Whisk in cream.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Always season with salt and pepper in the end.
Can I make this in advance?
Absolutely! This is actually perfect to make in advance and reheats beautifully. You can store it in the soup pot and then reheat it over the stove. Or you can cool the soup completely, and transfer to an airtight container for storage. It will keep for three to four days.
What should I serve with pumpkin soup?
- I would serve this with a crust loaf of bread for dipping.
- A great side salad would also be the perfect compliment.
- You could also serve it with a big batch of homemade cornbread.
Substitutions and Tips and Tricks for Recipe Success
- Use vegetable stock in place of chicken stock if you want to make this completely vegetarian.
- To make pumpkin soup vegan, swap out the heavy cream for unsweetened almond milk.
- If you don’t have ground cloves, don’t worry, you can leave them out.
- If you use a hand immersion blender, be careful, as the soup tends to splatter.
- Make sure to season every step of the way. In a soup this simple, seasoning is very important!
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- Stock pot
- Heat a large stock pot to a medium-lo heat. Add butter. Once butter melts, add onion, carrot, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sweat veggies until slightly softened and fragrant, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in pumpkin, chicken stock, remaining salt, cinnamon, black pepper, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Be careful, the soup is HOT! You can also use a hand blender if you don't want to dirty up a blender.
- Transfer the soup back to the pot and add half and half. Stir to combine. Simmer another minute or two. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.