Creamy White Chicken Chili. An easy to make chicken chili recipe that is loaded up with juicy, tender bites of chicken, white beans, green chiles and jalapeno. All in a flavorful, creamy broth.
Hi everyone, Serene from House of Yumm back today with one of my family’s all time favorite meal! Chili. Chili tends to make it on my meal plan at least once a week. But it’s ok, because I have a variety of types that I make. I have the Best Ever Classic Chili, a 20 minute Texas Style Chili, and one of my all time favorites is my White Chicken Chili.
Which is where this recipe comes from! It’s a play on my classic white chicken chili, which is more of a broth base. But after making some other creamy soups (like this amazing and epically creamy Potato Soup!) I decided to update my chicken chili to have some of the same qualities.
How to make Creamy White Chicken Chili:
This recipe is quick and easy to put together, especially if you already have shredded chicken on hand. You can either shred a rotisserie chicken, or if you want to shred your own, my favorite method is to sear 2 pounds of chicken thighs, I always get boneless, skinless thighs to make it easier.
After a quick sear with salt and pepper, I fill the pan with a small amount of water, just enough to come about halfway up the chicken, and bring this to a simmer. Let the chicken cook, or poach until they reach 165 degrees. Then remove and shred.
The rest of the chili comes together by sautéing the onion and jalapeno in a small amount of oil, adding the garlic for the last 30 seconds. Then add all the remaining ingredients minus the sour cream. Let it all cook on the stovetop for at least 30 minutes to help the flavors blend together.
The best part of chili, is of course, the toppings! Some toppings I love to add to my white chili are:
- sour cream
- Monterey Jack cheese
- chopped cilantro
- pickled jalapeno
- fresh lime juice
Watch a Video on how to make White Chicken Chili Here:
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ jalapeno chopped
- 2 cups shredded chicken, or 3 chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (of choice)
- 1 cup half and half or cream
- 3 15 ounce cans white beans (drained)
- 11 ounces of diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ cup sour cream
- Cook onion and jalapeno in olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, once the onion is softened and translucent, add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add in the shredded chicken and the chicken broth, milk and cream of choice. Bring to a simmer.
- Drain the cans of beans and add to the pot.
- Add in the green chilies and the seasonings.
- Cover and let the pot simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat, let sit for 2-3 minutes then stir in the sour cream.
- Garnish the salsa with toppings such as cheese, sour cream, cilantro, jalapenos, salsa. And enjoy!