Homemade Buffalo Sauce is spicy, zingy and so much better than store bought! You have to try making it yourself, it will change everything!
Buffalo Sauce Recipe
Homemade buffalo sauce is simple to make and great for many recipes to come! Buffalo sauce is combination of bottled hot sauce and a fat, and in this case butter, to create a delicious creamy sauce you are going to love. The butter will balance out the spice, and along with the vinegar and worcestershire sauce it creates a unique taste different from just hot sauce. It is creamy and delicious.
Making homemade buffalo sauce at home means you can make it fresh and adjust the heat to your liking. It is much easier than you think. There are so many ways to serve this sauce, I’ll give you all the good ideas below. But whether you are a ranch dressing fan or a Blue Cheese fan, I have that recipe for you too! So turn your grill on and get the wings cooking and let’s make some sauce!
Ingredients for Buffalo Sauce Recipe
Just a few ingredients make up this incredible homemade buffalo sauce. Do not skimp on the butter, it is meant to be in there.
- Frank’s Hot Sauce: Every good buffalo sauce starts with a good hot sauce, use your favorite.
- Butter: Adds the richness and depth you want in a buffalo sauce.
- White Vinegar: Adds a bit of acidity for impeccable flavor.
- Worcestershire Sauce: You want to use this for a perfect umami flavor.
- Cayenne: More heat.
- Garlic: Adds flavor besides heat.
How To Make Buffalo Sauce from Scratch
Buffalo sauce made from scratch is so easy you will wonder what took you so long to try it. You are going to love this!
- Combine: In a medium saucepan add the hot sauce, butter, white vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne, and garlic.
- Heat: Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and whisk for 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.
Tips For The Best Buffalo Sauce
There are several variations of buffalo sauce out there. Some only use the hot sauce and butter. I prefer this homemade recipe that rounds out the flavors better and creates a beautiful rich deep sauce.
- Frank’s Hot Sauce: It is highly touted everywhere that this is the only hot sauce you should use to make Buffalo sauce. It is even said that the original buffalo sauce that originated in Buffalo NY, was made with Frank’s. Whether that is true or not, you cannot go wrong with Frank’s. It is the perfect hot sauce to create this buffalo sauce with. If you have a different hot sauce that you love, by all means use it. If you are not sure what to use, go with Frank’s.
- Control The Heat: Everyone has their different tolerance for heat. If you want it spicer double or even triple the cayenne pepper. If you want it more mild, reduce or eliminate the cayenne all together. Adjusting the cayenne is how you will control the heat.
- Add Sweet Heat: If you want more of a sweet buffalo sauce, try adding honey to the recipe. It adds flavor and a touch of sweet. Start with a teaspoon or two and add more to taste.
What to Serve Your Homemade Sauce With
Homemade buffalo sauce may have started out as a wing sauce, but it is for so much more than that. Try it with any recipe that calls for buffalo sauce, like Buffalo Cauliflower or Grilled Honey Buffalo Wings. This rich creamy sauce can go with so many things, these are just a few to get your creative juices flowing. There are so many ways you can use this divine buffalo sauce.
- Breakfast: Yup, we can start the morning with this buffalo sauce. Use it to top Eggs, Breakfast Burritos, Breakfast Casseroles and Hashbrowns.
- Lunch: Buffalo sauce is so good on sandwiches. Try it on Chicken, Egg Salad, and even Grilled Cheese. Use it to make Chicken Quesadillas, tacos or a Buffalo Buddha bowl.
- Dinner: The possibilities here are endless. Add it to this Wedge Salad with the blue cheese and bacon, it’s amazing. Drizzle it on any other salad for a nice kick. Drizzle the sauce over air fryer chicken and Fried Chicken. Make Buffalo Chicken pizzas, or drizzle it over vegetables and baked potatoes.
Storing Buffalo Sauce
This sauce only gets better with time. I like making it in small batches but making a large batch is just as good. It will keep. Keep in a tightly sealed container, I like to use a jar with a screw top lid. Keep in the fridge for up to a month. Shake well before each use. If you want to warm it up, only take out what you will need and warm up in the microwave.
More Homemade Sauces and Spreads
There really is nothing better than making your own sauces, dressings and spreads. You know exactly what goes in them. You can customize them to your liking. Homemade is always better than store bought. It only takes a few minutes to create your favorites and you won’t regret it. Making homemade anything always is cheaper than buying as well. So in a nutshell it’s healthier, cheaper, and tastier. I think it’s time to give them a try. Start with these tried and true favorites.
- Authentic Japanese Yum Yum Sauce
- Copycat Chick fil A Sauce
- Best Basil Pesto Sauce
- Easy Cinnamon Honey Butter (Texas Roadhouse Copycat)
- Homemade Ranch Dressing
Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- 1 cup Frank's Hot Sauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- In a medium saucepan add the hot sauce, butter, white vinegar, worchestershire sauce, cayenne, and garlic.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and whisk for 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.