Crispy shrimp tossed in a creamy sweet sauce and candied walnuts. This is so much better than take out and one of the best shrimp recipes that you will make!
Let’s talk shrimp. Do you love it or hate it? My husband LOVES shrimp! He asks me to make it all of the time. I am not the biggest fan of it but I am a firm believer on giving things a second try. I used to not like a whole lot of foods growing up and have learned to love some things that I once hated. I decided to make this popular restaurant recipe because it sounded amazing!
This is a great recipe to start with if you aren’t a huge shrimp fan. First of all, the walnuts get a crunchy candied outside. Then, you pan fry the shrimp until the outside gets nice and crispy.
But the honey glaze. It is out of this world!
The sauce is a combination of honey, mayonnaise, and sweetened condensed milk. Yeah you heard right. Sweetened condensed milk! Just a little of this added to the sauce brings all of the flavors together and adds such a delicious and sweet glaze to the shrimp.
And the candied walnuts throughout. Amazing!
You are seriously going to love every single bite. I love being able to make recipes right at home that are better than takeout! And I promise that you are going to love this one just as much as we did. My hubby especially! 🙂
Recipe adapted from All Recipes
Honey Walnut Shrimp
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
- sliced green onions for garnish optional
- In a small saucepan stir together the water and sugar. Bring to a boil and add the walnuts. Boil for about 2 minutes then drain and place on a cookie sheet to dry.
- Heat the oil in a heavy deep skillet over medium high heat. In a small bowl whisk the egg. Add the cornstarch to another small bowl. Dip the shrimp into the egg and then the cornstarch. Fry the shrimp for about 5 minutes or until they turn pink and the outside is golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- In a medium bowl whisk together mayonnaise, honey, and sweetened condensed milk. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Sprinkle with candied walnuts and green onions. Serve.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.