Brown rice can be tricky to get right. Make it in your Instant Pot and you’ll have fresh, fluffy rice ready in 20 minutes!
Packed with fiber, brown rice is a healthy choice and perfect for layering with your favorite saucy dishes! Caramel chicken, beef and broccoli, and Mongolian beef are a few of my favorites! They’re super easy to make and so delicious!
20-Minute Instant Pot Brown Rice Recipe
I remember the first time I went to make brown rice, thinking it would be ready in 15 minutes like white rice. Boy was I wrong! Traditionally, brown rice takes 40-45 minutes to cook. So if you’re wanting the health benefits of brown rice in half the time, this Instant Pot brown rice recipe is the answer! In 20 minutes, you’ll have steamy, fluffy brown rice ready to accompany your favorite dinners!
No more worrying about water to rice ratios or wondering how long you’re supposed to cook your brown rice. This recipe is foolproof! The brown rice turns out perfectly each time I’ve made it. If you’re wanting a quick and easy recipe for white rice, too, I’ve got you covered. You can find it here! I love my Instant Pot, it really does it all! It makes preparing meals a breeze.
Rice and water are all you need here! All measurements can be found in the recipe card at the end of the post. If you’re wanting to make white rice instead, you can find that recipe here.
- Brown Rice: I used long grain! You can use short grain, too, it will just give you a slightly different texture.
- Cooking Liquid: You can use water or low sodium chicken broth for a little added flavor.
Is Brown Rice Better for You Than White Rice?
Brown rice hasn’t been processed, so it’s in its purest form. It’s loaded with dietary fiber which aids in digestion, controlling blood sugar levels, and even preventing heart disease! It’s also naturally rich in antioxidants to help prevent disease and inflammation in the body. Most white rice is fortified, meaning it has vitamins and minerals added, so it’s a healthy choice too. Brown rice is just more nutrient-rich.
How to Make Brown Rice in an Instant Pot
This recipe is great because it takes the guesswork out of making brown rice. It’s so quick and easy, you won’t want it any other way!
- Prepare Rice: Measure out 2 cups of rice and rinse it well through a fine mesh strainer to remove the starches. This will help create the perfect texture!
- Add to Instant Pot: Place the rinsed rice in the instant pot.
- Add Liquid: Pour 2 cups chicken broth or water over the rice in the instant pot.
- Cook: Put the lid on, turn the valve to seal, and select the manual or high pressure option. Use the arrows to select 22 minutes. If you prefer more al dente rice, cook for 20 minutes.
- Release Steam: When the rice is down cooking, let it naturally release the stream.
- Serve: Remove the lid and serve with any of my recipes that use rice!
Your Instant Pot brown rice can be stored and enjoyed days after you make it! Try it out with this honey garlic shrimp!
- In the Refrigerator: Your brown rice will last for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
- Reheating: If you want to serve your rice warm, pop it in the microwave with a tablespoon of water added, then cook for 15-20 second intervals until warm.
Instant Pot Brown Rice
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or water
- Measure out 2 cups rice and rinse it well through a fine mesh strainer to remove the starches. This will help create the perfect texture!
- Place the rinsed rice in the instant pot.
- Pour 2 cups chicken broth or water over the rice in the instant pot.
- Put the lid on, turn the valve to seal, and select the manual or high pressure option. Use the arrows to select 22 minutes. If you prefer more al dente rice, cook for 20 minutes.
- When the rice is down cooking, let it naturally release the stream.
- Remove the lid and serve with any of my recipes that use rice!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
If I just wanted to make 1 serving of brown rice, could I put 1/2 cup of rice and a 1/2 cup of water in a small dish and set it on a rack in the instant pot. And then add maybe a cup of water to the bottom of the instant pot, so it could come to pressure. I have a 3 quart mini instant pot.
I haven’t tried this before so I’m not sure if that would work or not!
Your other insta pot rice recipe says to cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, this one says 22 minutes. Both use 2 cups rice and 2 cups water. Why the time difference?
This recipe is for brown rice which takes longer to cook!