Chocolate lovers, this Mississippi Mud Pie is for you! A silky chocolate filling topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings, all eaten on an Oreo crust. It doesn’t get much more delicious than that!
I love delicious pies that I can eat all year long. If you make this pie and want to come back for more, then you must try this delicious Fresh Strawberry Pie, this simple No Bake Cream Cheese Peanut Butter Pie, and this insanely delicious Lemon Chess Pie. Pie is a staple at our house and these ones you cannot miss!
What is Mississippi Mud Pie?
This pie came from (you guessed it!) Mississippi! The color of this pie was said to look like the muddy banks of the Mississippi River but don’t worry. No mud was involved in making this pie. Only delicious and silky milk chocolate. This pie is made of delicious layers, and changing up the toppings is how I get away with serving this over and over again! Try switching out the chocolate curls for some sprinkles, a chocolate sauce, or even more crushed Oreos.
A chocolate dessert that goes with everything is a staple, and that’s exactly what this recipe is. It is a staple that you will come back to over and over again because everyone who eats it loves it. They can’t resist coming back for seconds! I especially love serving this in the summer because there isn’t a better way to wrap up a BBQ than with some delicious chocolate!
Ingredients in Mississippi Mud Pie Recipe
Once you see this list of ingredients, you will be licking your lips, and your mouth will be watering! This dessert is so delicious and packed with sweet, chocolatey flavors. Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Oreo Cookies: Is there anything better than an Oreo crust for a pie?
- Unsalted Butter: The butter is melted and helps to combine the cookies so that you can press and shape the crust.
- Salt: The salt enhances the flavors in the Oreo cookie crust.
- Unsalted Butter: I use unsalted butter in the brownie layer.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips: You can use milk chocolate chips, but I like the flavor that semi-sweet chocolate chips bring to the pie.
- Sugar: This sweetens everything up.
- Brown Sugar: When you measure the brown sugar, make sure it’s packed.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: This adds a chocolate flavor as well as color to the brownies.
- Vanilla Extract: A splash of vanilla enhances the sweet flavors in this pie.
- Large Eggs: Make sure your eggs are at room temperature before mixing them in.
- Baking Powder: This helps the brownies to rise and become soft and chewy.
- Salt: The salt brings out all the different flavors in the recipe.
- Flour: I used all-purpose flour in this recipe.
- Chocolate Pudding: This layer is silky smooth in the pie!
- Whole Milk: Whole milk is mixed with the pudding to make it nice and smooth.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: Chill this in your fridge before mixing this up.
- Powdered Sugar: This will sweeten up the whipped topping.
How to Make Mississippi Mud Pie
This pie is simple to make but requires some time to chill in the fridge. It’s the perfect dessert to make ahead of time and have it ready to go when your guests arrive!
- Preheat Oven: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Blend Crumbs: Place the cookies in a food processor and process until you have a fine crumb.
- Press: Mix the melted butter and salt in the food processor until combined. Press the cookie mixture into a 9-inch pie dish or tart pan (make sure the tart pan has 2-inch sides if using one.)
- Bake: Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool while you mix together the brownie layer.
- Melt Chocolate: Add butter and chocolate chips in a large bowl. Heat in the microwave in 20-second intervals until fully melted, stirring between intervals.
- Combine: Add the remaining ingredients to the melted chocolate and mix until combined.
- Add to Crust: Add to the baked Oreo crust. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Cool: Let cool completely.
- Whisk: Whisk together the pudding mix and milk and set aside to thicken.
- Chill: Once thickened, pour over the cooled brownie layer. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 4-5 hours.
- Beat with a Mixer: Add the whipped cream and powdered sugar to a large bowl. Beat with a hand mixer until medium-stiff peaks.
- Add to Pie and Garnish: Top the chilled Mississippi mud pie with the whipped cream. Add chocolate curls, crushed Oreos, or a chocolate sauce drizzle if desired.
Here are some time-saving tips to make this Mississippi mud pie in case you are in a time crunch. These taste delicious and take less time than making brownies and whipped cream from scratch.
- Use a Brownie Mix: For an easy alternative to making your own brownie, replace the brownie recipe with 1 box of brownie mix prepared according to the directions on the box. Add to the Oreo crust and bake according to the box.
- Use Frozen Whipped Topping: The homemade whipped cream can be replaced with frozen whipped topping (like cool whip) that has been thawed to make it even easier.
How to Store Leftovers
This Mississippi mud pie is great to make ahead of time because you have to chill it anyways. If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, then you will be happy to know that these last a few days when stored properly.
In the Refrigerator: Store the leftover Mississippi mud pie in an airtight container (or cover it with some foil). It will last in the fridge for about 3-4 days.
Mississippi Mud Pie
- 30 Oreo cookies
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- (1) 3.9 ounce package chocolate pudding
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream chilled
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the cookies in a food processor and process until you have a fine crumb.
- Add the melted butter and salt to the food processor and mix until combined. Press the cookie mixture into a 9-inch pie dish or tart pan (just make sure the tart pan has 2-inch sides if using one.)
- Bake for 10 Minutes. Let cool while you mix together the brownie layer.
- In a large bowl, add the butter and chocolate chips. Heat in the microwave in 20-second intervals until fully melted, stirring between intervals.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the melted chocolate and mix until combined.
- Add to the baked oreo crust. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Let cool completely.
- Whisk together the pudding mix and milk and set aside to thicken.
- Once thickened, pour over the cooled brownie layer. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 4-5 hours.
- Add the whipped cream and powdered sugar to a large bowl. Beat with a hand mixer until medium stiff peaks.
- Top the chilled pie with the whipped cream. Add chocolate curls, crushed oreos, or a chocolate sauce drizzle if desired.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Made this last night, the flavours together is great! Love the crunch of the crust and brownie with the topping.
I cooked in a spring form pan so it was easier to dish out- added tinfoil around the edges to get the 2inch thickness as you suggested. Now I see why you do.
I over baked by about 20 mins as the middle was still gooey at the 30 min mark. By the time I was done cooking the edges were very hard but the centre was perfect.
I’m wondering if it would do the same in a pie shell and have to over bake as it would be a bit thicker in the middle ? I plan to try this again in a pie shell and will let you know how it goes!
But great recipe!
It was on my phones google homepage, glad they put it there!
Yum! Thank you for excellent recipie. Fun Fact: There used to be a very popular restaurant in Minneapolis named, Mud Pie, with this a main dessert (naturally 😄) 🤝⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐