This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs are a fun twist on the classic recipe – serve these meatballs as a party appetizer or over a big plate of spaghetti for a hearty meal!
It’s Sara from Dinner at the Zoo and today I’m bringing you these amazingly delicious mozzarella stuffed meatballs. Spaghetti and meatballs is one of the few meals that all three of my kids will eat, so it’s on a regular rotation at my house. While you certainly can’t go wrong with the classic version of spaghetti and meatballs, you can definitely upgrade the original, which I’ve done here by stuffing each meatball with mozzarella cheese. It’s an unexpected surprise to bite into a meatball and find the cheesy filling!
I make these meatballs with lean ground beef. I typically use the 90% lean ground beef, although ground turkey would also work well. The meat is combined with breadcrumbs, egg and seasonings and then wrapped around cubes of mozzarella cheese. I prefer to make these meatballs on the larger size, about 2 inches in diameter. If you’d like to go smaller on the meatballs, simply cut your cheese into smaller cubes and take a few minutes off the cook time. I like to broil my meatballs; it uses way less oil than cooking meatballs in a pan and you can cook large batches at a time. I often make a double batch of these meatballs and freeze half the cooked meatballs for a later date. I typically use a high quality jarred marinara sauce on top of my meatballs, but you could definitely make your own sauce if you prefer.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
- 1 and 1/2 pounds ground beef 85-90% lean
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 cups marinara sauce homemade or store bought, warmed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- cooking spray
- Preheat the broiler. Line a sheet pan with foil and coat the foil with cooking spray.
- Place the beef, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, egg and water in a bowl; mix until thoroughly combined. You may need to add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to get a smooth mixture.
- Take approximately 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture and roll it into a ball. Press a cube of cheese into the ball of meat, making sure that the meat completely surrounds the cheese. Place the meatball on the sheet pan and repeat with remaining meat and cheese.
- Spray the tops of the meatballs with cooking spray. Broil for 10 minutes or until meatballs are just done - do not overcook or the cheese filling may start to spill out.
- Place the meatballs on a plate and pour the marinara sauce over the top, Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
•Finedine Mixing Bowls
•The Recipe Critic Apron
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
You can serve these meatballs as an appetizer, with spaghetti, or as a pizza topping, and they also make an amazing meatball sub sandwich. No matter how you serve them, these meatballs are sure to be a hit!